• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

catalyst 8.12's officially out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm still on the fence about these new drivers considering the issues we saw with the last ones that are out. But I will probably give them a try next week and let you know how it works on my 4870.

Well no massive improvements. Maybe a sparse few frames here or there. It's not running any worse, so I guess that's a good thing.

colin mcrae dirt doesn't slow down at the start of races if using cockpit helmet view, which is an improvement, i guess, though i had been using fraps before, and not today.

Well i am home now but i am kinda leary about installing these now.

Well i installed the new driver and my pc still works. Guess thats saying enough.

Last edited:
I had major problems with 8.12. I installed it twice and it was not stable and caused my system to shutdown. I uninstalled it and went into safe mode to run driver sweeper and still had the same issues. I then had problems reinstalling 8.11 after that so I ended up doing a system restore. I'm back on 8.11 now.

Maybe its a 64-bit problem because I have not had any issues at all with the new drivers and have got some fps increases in a few games.

they work great on my x64 system, they did mess up my gta4 textures tho. gona reinstall the game and see how it goes

Working well here, keep in mind you may have to reset your overclocks, which is why some of you may see the same or decreased performance.

I'm not sure if I should try a third time to install the 8.12's because I've never had these problems with video drivers. I had two crashes when I went to overclock the gpu. The screen pixelized and then crashed so maybe I should just wait for the next version to come out?

Installed the 8.12's and when I tried to run COD4, I got a crash followed by a mem dump :rolleyes: Haven't had a mem dump in years. Reverted back to the 8.10's.

Steps to troublefree setup...

Goto Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs...

Click ATI Software uninstall program and click uninstall...

Once that is done click uninstall on the remaining ati deals in the add/remove programs..

Then goto c:/ and find the ATI folder, delete it...

Then download and run CCleaner...

Make sure the new drivers are downloaded...

Reboot...

Wait for the computer to find the "VGA COntroller" there will be two that popup, click cancel on both...

Install the new drivers, then reboot.... your done other than setting up CCC options.

Im using the extreme-g version of these drivers,very disappointed,ATI have very good bang for the buck cards compared to nvidia,but their drivers are usually not so good and certainly didnt live up to the hype.

Back