• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

catalyst 8.12's officially out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didnt do anything special. Downloaded the drivers, and then installed them without uninstalling the old ones. Working fine for me. Vista 64 and Windows 7 here. Driver works great on 7 also.

Well, Ill give it a go again. I uninstalled ATI from add/remove. Deleted the ATI folder, cleaned the registry, rebooted, checked the registry again. Everyone gone at this point. Installed the drivers (vista x64 flavor) and got an INF error halfway through. It "finished with errors". Reboot and it cannot find the damn driver file still :(

Guess I will do it all over. Going to be ****ed if I just wasted all this time for more ATI garbage.

EDIT* Ok. Uninstalled all the crap just like I did before. I also re-downloaded the install file as maybe it got corrupt somehow. Reinstalled and all is good now. Ill give an update on my performance. Going to run 3dMark06 in a bit, see if Ive gained anything.

Last edited:
Computer wouldn't even boot into windows after installing these on my 64 bit XP. Reverted back to 8.10 had to reinstall .net before it would all work out all right.

its supposed too. I just got my QX6850 yesterday and havent been really trying any games lately. Today i picked up crysis warhead and im gonna see how that runs on the new drivers.

so does this one fix the studdering in far cry 2?

nope.

I got a huge performance boost with my xfire setup though. Enough that the stuttering is much less noticeable. Capping the framerate at ~40fps does eliminate it though.

I still view this game as a wasted $50

I installed the 8.12's tonight. I gave them a test run with about 1.5 hours of call of duty 4 online play. I was quite pleased with their performance. although I didn't notice a gain on the game, it ran well, so that's good.

I got a BSOD when I tried exiting the game though...very frusterating. If it happens again i'm going back to 8.10

Have any of you with the studder tried turning off Catalyst A.I.? I noticed when I turned it to advanced in CCC that I would get studder on the Devil May Cry 4, but with it set at standard I don't have the problem. Just a suggestion.

so no FC2 stutter fix? Guess I won't bother redownloading that "game" yet.

8.12 working great here. I can't get the CCC to work for some reason under XP32 or Vista64....not really a big deal though.

Slightly off topic...has anyone been able to adjust AA/AF w/ rivatuner on the 4870x2?
Since I can't get CCC working, I'd like to be able to do that via RT, but 2.10 and 2.20 don't give me those tabs =/

Was playing around with the Crysis benchmark and picked up 10 fps (from 8.10) with 8x AA at 1900x1200. Ran 16x AA at that res and still turned almost 40, min was 21. That was on the second time through. Both were on XP Home.

lol thanks.
now i face another problem. it's kind of worrisome...because i feel something bad has happened. i might start another thread on this problem, but my Powercolor 4850 can't reach 700/1000 anymore. i haven't modded the card or anything.

what i remember is, i recently changed my PCI speed from 110mhz to 100mhz. i've also changed from 8.10 to 8.11 and now to 8.12 drivers.
i was having no problems with 8.10 on 110mhz.

what i'm afraid of is, is my card degrading? like how cpus can degrade by putting too much voltage through them. i'm thinking my card's been running too hot or something.
any thoughts?

lol, my drivers are seooo out of date. Where can I find old driver versions?

Although w/ XP32 on an older x1950xt... I've gotta be skeptical about it making that much of a difference.

Edit: lol, "thats not gone well" good thing system restore works great though

Last edited:
Back