• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cathar released pics of the new Storm G5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cathar,

How's that new pump you were playing with a little while ago? I'm very interested in how it performs.

up late eh nigely?

Anyway, basically everyone puts a different price on different things.

If you're hardcore and you want to put everything you can into cooling your CPU, short of going sub zero or extreme cooling, then the storm G5 is for you, but if you're looking for 'bang for the buck' watercooling, you're in it for the silence, not the MHz, then the G5 isnt anything, but a license to brag.

NovaShine said:
up late eh nigely?

Anyway, basically everyone puts a different price on different things.

If you're hardcore and you want to put everything you can into cooling your CPU, short of going sub zero or extreme cooling, then the storm G5 is for you, but if you're looking for 'bang for the buck' watercooling, you're in it for the silence, not the MHz, then the G5 isnt anything, but a license to brag.

iam in the UK right now, so its still early

ppl dont want to spend 50$ for a heatercore but will spend 150$ for a waterblock which gives you 0.5c lower, i just dont get it

It's all about relativity. If you can get the best heatercore for watercooling for less than $50, then that's all fine and good, but the high end in watercooling ramps all the way up to $150.

But if that guy does it the other way round and buys a cheapo rad that sux at cooling, then buys a $150 waterblock, he's a total dumfuk

nigely said:
...ppl dont want to spend 50$ for a heatercore but will spend 150$ for a waterblock which gives you 0.5c lower, i just dont get it
Then you won't get it. Cathar will sell as many of these as he can make, that is my prediction.

agreed... there's no need to complain at all about price.. if you cant/wont pay it then dont. there are plenty of people out there that can/will

Guys, relax. He's just voicing his opinion. It is true that its all about relativity. I ordered a G4 and for me ordering the G5 wouldn't do much for me except for the bling factor. But for someone that has maybe a subpar waterblock, and want to go straight for the high end, the G5 is more than worth it. Is it worth it? Of course! It is made of silver. Performance wise over the G4 then I can say its not worth it for someone that already has a G4 except for the bling factor, and I am a sucker for bling factors. But I already have a G4 coming so im satisfied for now.

I'm not twisting anyone's arm over these things. I make the silver blocks because I keep getting people asking me to do so. Since I'm not a commercial waterblock manufacturer I am somewhat more open to do things in a customised fashion. People want silver? Fine - I can do that for them. At the end of the day I'm making next to nothing on the stuff I get made up. The blocks cost what they cost, and I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head and saying "Pay up bucko!", so I really don't understand what there is to complain about.

What is interesting to me though is the physchology behind people who do complain about how others decide to spend their money.

nikhsub1 said:
No, it is Delrin, a composite plastic.
Which is IMHO the best material to use for WB tops.. no corrosion problem, low costs, and sturdy.. I still wonder why no one has done that on commercial waterblocks yet.

Oh boy, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these blocks :drool: If I can remember correctley, isn't there a 1*c drop in temps from the g4 to the g5? Also, I am a sucker for the bling bling effect, compound that by the best waterblock on the market today, I'll be more than happy to pay the $150.

Very nice work Cathar. I appreciate you using a single barb outlet, even though there's a tiny improvement in a two barb design. As you said, the gain isn't worth the hassle, and after using this WW for about 6 months...two outlets really CAN be a hassle.

ppl dont want to spend 50$ for a heatercore but will spend 150$ for a waterblock which gives you 0.5c lower, i just dont get it
Once you've got enough heatercoreage the water can't get any cooler than ambient temp. The parts of the system that can be improved after that point are the pump and the block. The people you see buying blocks like Cathar's are the same who are willing to spend the extra $$$ to get an Iwaki or some other sweet pump. The correlation there is obvious. If you really want the best of the best...this is where you go to get it.

cathar, i remember i was asking you about having a thin base is good or not, but you told me that it isnt always, but it seems that the base of your waterblock is getting thinner.

Back