• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cathar released pics of the new Storm G5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nissmo300

g5-01.jpg

g5-02.jpg

g5-03.jpg

g5-04.jpg

g5-05.jpg

All I have to say is :eek: :drool:

I never thought a black waterblock would be so beautiful :drool: :drool: I can't wait to see the reviews and comparisons for this block. What are the advantages of using delrin (I'm pretty sure that's what the black material is?) over other materials? I'm assuming it doesn't cause the battery affect like copper/alluminum do?

Last edited:
its structure reminds the cascade. isn't it?
intresting to see the difference in performance between those two.

Last edited:
Orka said:
its structure reminds the cascade. isn't it?

They do bear a superficial similarity in appearance. I can assure you that the fluid-dynamics based manner in which either of the two blocks gets the job done is total chalk and cheese. The fluid delivery mechanism is what is of apparant similarity.

cathar,
how the asymmetry of the block design (center inlet and one-side outlet) effects the performance? wouldn't double outlet (like in WW) give better performance or the two constellations are not comparable (different)?

also i paid attention that its base component is thin. at least thinner (as it seems to me) than the thikness in WW (D-tek) that i saw. how is the base thikness compared to cascade?

what material is it made of (the one in the picture)? Aluminium, Silver?

Last edited:
Was the reduction of silver elements one of your production goals with the G5 or is that just a byproduct of the assumption of delrin and the thinning of the baseplate? I know cost isnt really a major factor in any of your experimental designs, but now that the block is mostly delrin (not the cheapest of materials albeit cheaper than silver) and lesser in silver, would you say that at least the materials price constant, which makes a large percentage of the usual block price, has gone down?

Certainly I dont expect to pay less for the G5, and would gladly pay a much higher price than you usually seem to ask, but I was curious. Am I totally mistaken?

Orka said:
cathar,
how the asymmetry of the block design (center inlet and one-side outlet) effects the performance? wouldn't double outlet (like in WW) give better performance or the two constellations are not comparable (different)?

also i paid attention that its base component is thin. at least thinner (as it seems to me) than the thikness in WW (D-tek) that i saw. how is the base thikness compared to cascade?

what material is it made of (the one in the picture)? Aluminium, Silver?

The White Water design needed to balance the central inlet flow to travel to the outlets, hence the need for the two outlet points. The Storm block, much like the Cascade, doesn't really need the extra outlet, as the bulk of the cooling effect occurs within the indentations. There is ample room for the water to discharge with the single outlet. The outwash from the jetted area cools the surface of the metal providing an ancillary cooling effect, but it is not pivotal. Adding a second outlet would mildly lower the block's pressure drop, allowing for slightly higher flow rates, but we're talking fairly miniscule differences here for much greater hassle.

Overall base-plate material thickness is the same as the White Water. The overall block is taller than the White Water, giving the appearance that the base-plate is thinner, but it isn't. The White Water, Cascade and Storm all use a 3/16" thick base-plate as a machining start point.

The material in those pictures is 99.998% pure silver. I took the pictures just after basic machining/grinding, without me polishing it up or lapping the base-plate. When polished with Silvo, and lapped to a mirror finish, it positively gleams. Block is on my CPU now after lapping - I didn't wait to take a picture.

jackrungh said:
Was the reduction of silver elements one of your production goals with the G5 or is that just a byproduct of the assumption of delrin and the thinning of the baseplate? I know cost isnt really a major factor in any of your experimental designs, but now that the block is mostly delrin (not the cheapest of materials albeit cheaper than silver) and lesser in silver, would you say that at least the materials price constant, which makes a large percentage of the usual block price, has gone down?

Certainly I dont expect to pay less for the G5, and would gladly pay a much higher price than you usually seem to ask, but I was curious. Am I totally mistaken?

I always intended to make the G5 complexity version of the design in silver, purely to offer a definite performance advantage over the copper G4 complexity design. Machine time for the G5 is about 1.5x as long as for the G4. I figured that if I'm going to use silver, I may as well push the design to a higher complexity level while I'm at it.

Delrin isn't cheap as materials go - but it's isn't exactly costly either. The cost of the silver (over copper) coupled with the increased machining complexity is what will push the price of the G5 up to around twice that of the copper G4.

Cathar, while your blocks are indeed the SOTA (State Of The Art for us Shadowrunners) and the G5 makes me hard in the pants, they're quite hard to get a grip on ;) Any chance you can licence this one (or at least a copper version of it) to D-Tek like you did with the WW ? It would be a huge hit just like the WW was (or still is).

(rant)
Too bad that no one apart from you Cathar (and maybe the dudes at Danger Den, but they are still behind) pushes the waterblock technology forward. Fluid dynamics aren't simple, granted, but finding experts in this domain is quite easy these days - especially around here in EU where R&D is underfounded, i know a few jobless high-level scientists who are far from handicapped in fluid dynamics... Instead mfgers around here will produce bad copies of your designs, lacking the proper jet nozzle (or lacking a jet nozzle entirely), and sell them for 100€ as 'brand new patented technology' :(
(/rant)

(yep that's 2 rants today, i'll stop there, I promise)

Back