• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cathodes on the monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myrmidon84

Registered
okay so i am getting a cathode w/ a sound adapter that causes it to strobe to music and what i am thinking is to put it on the monitor.

i am going to cut the case of the monitor on the sides about 2-4" behind the front corners, the cut is going to be about 1x10" vertically...i am going to cover with plexiglass and put the cathodes inside the monitor

i was wondering if this would cause any issues with hte display and if it would cause too much distraction?

this probably makes no sense so sorry but try to read it carefully

thanks guys

-M84:D

I was just asking if anyone has put the light INSIDE a monitor before. Maybe put some fans on it as well to keep it cool. Does not seem like it would be too hard to accomplish this.

i want to do something with an EL wire in my monitor. makeing the clear plastic have a soft glow would be cool but im to scared to take it apart as of now

Bah! Wuss. :) I've taken apart many a monitor. Just so long as you're careful you'll be fine. What kind of clear plastic do you have in your monitor though?

I would be afraid too after paying 3 grand for a nice apple cinema display like that.... I wouldnt call him a wuss, I would call him smart.

yeah i agree with amigothree he just be smart...im just moding my $150 17" pos...no big deal...i wouldn't touch that though...

-M84:cool:

Is there a seal on it? If not, he should be fine. Just make certain not to leave any evidence behind that he's opened the thing.

lol, good call...if they cant prove you voided teh warranty then you never really did...ill go for that

monitors carry some lethal charges, gotta leave them unhooked for at least 2-3 days to let the power completely fade. I modded a new led in mine and i am thinking that window thing might not be a bad idea :D

so then straight out of the box would be good then right...i am still using my old monitor...but, then again no because i want to make sure it is working b4 i void teh warranty...but they dont have any charges that will cause damage to the cathodes do they?

nope, just if u touch them and they are really charged, you could die. literally.

ahhhh...that would not be so good...so yeah i will let it sit for a while then...2 or 3 days right?

just avoid the flyback transformer. Beyond that, you should be fine most likely. I've hit the 17,000 volt caps in one before. it hurt like heck, but don't think it came close to killing me.

man i bet that stung...i been hit with a wimpy 500v capacitor and it left a scar so...ouch...anyway i will do this mod whenever i get the cathodes and then i will post some pics (if i can find a digicam)...thanx for your help guys

hehe. Yeah, it hurt a bit. I believe that the monitor was actually on at the time, I was making some adjustments to it. It actually left 3 tiny burn marks on my finger where the current had passed through. My arm jerked away hard enough that I actually strained the muscle. My bicep hurt for several days afterwards.

OK ... guys, the chance of being killed by the charges from a monitor are slim to nil , unless you are only grounded by your hands directly apart from each othe so that the electricity will pass through your chest because the electricity finds the shortest way to ground... so if your feet are grounded then it will go in your arm and down your side not to your heart most likely, or if your not grounded at all .. hey GUESS WHAT! you dont get shocked... hehe but its hard not to be grounded, ANYWHO i think monitor mods would be cool :p

hey CRT dangers are noting to make light of. i personally lost a friend to one. he got tagged by the flyback while working on one at the repair shop he worked at. so it is a very real danger!

Back