• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cathodes on the monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And.. the capacitors in monitors, tvs and power supplies can hold electrical charges for a very long time.. I wouldn't consider 2-3 days a safe..

Then again I would not touch my monitor nor my psu..

Tempting as it might be .. I'd say don't do it.. or then leave it to a professional.. I mean if you want it done you could always supply it to some tv repair shop.. I bet if you give them a bit extra money they could do it for you.

I know for a fact that power supplies have a draining resistor that discharges the capacitors within a few minutes. I would guess that monitors would be the same way. I have opened my monitor many times, i currently have it running without a case. Its a good idea to wait a little while, but i dont think 3 days is necessary.

so what do you think would be safe?
and is there any way to drain the caps on monitor? cause i know some psu's do it...

thats why they tell you to always keep one hand in your pocket when your working on high voltage stuff. There are directions in that article earlier in the thread, he made a grounded screwdriver and stuck in in where the high voltages are stored, but i would prefer to leave it off for a few days then mess with it and get shocked.

Wyrmmaster, I'd say it's more like a few seconds. I was working on my PSU and got zapped a couple of times when I touched something a second or two after flipping the switch. But if I waited 5-10 seconds first I never ONCE got hit. Well, except for that time that I touched the inside of the power plug with it still plugged in. LOL.

Wyrmmaster, I'd say it's more like a few seconds. I was working on my PSU and got zapped a couple of times when I touched something a second or two after flipping the switch. But if I waited 5-10 seconds first I never ONCE got hit. Well, except for that time that I touched the inside of the power plug with it still plugged in. LOL.

tothats probably because you partialy discharged the capacitors when you grounded it with your hand

pik4chu said:

tothats probably because you partialy discharged the capacitors when you grounded it with your hand

LOL, no, they were separate incidents. Actually, that happened twice. You'd think I'd learn after the first one.

Back