• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CCFL = UV...cathode...tube...????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

I'm confused. I ordered some Blue UV Cathode Tubes to help light up my new WC setup (UV Water), BUT, these aren't very UV lightishly lighting my UV sensitive stuffs....or did they send me the wrong stuff? I R TEH CONFUSED :bang head

> " I ordered some Blue UV Cathode Tubes " <

What are they? Blue or UV? Or perhaps they are the units which have two tubes in one?
If so that could be the problem. The blue will drown out much of the light being emitted by
the UV reactive components.

Could you provide a lynk to the product purchased?

I've had one of these before.
A Blue UV cold cathode is basically a UV cold cathode but with an internal layer of UV dyes and phosphates to absorb and then re-emit UV reactive blue light. The phosphate layer doesn't absorb all of the UV light, but the reactive lighting effect is much weaker than a regular UV cold cathode.

If you want UV, get UV. If you want blue, get blue.

Ahhh, that makes sense Captain. Think I have heard of those type lights before.
No doubt about it. If you want to make stuff glow - get UV. Not purple or blue.

I ahve uv cold cathodes and blue led fans. With the fans off, my dfi board and cabling glows like crazy but with the fans lit up the blue does tend to drown out the affect a bit.

ok once again....the wavelength of the EMITTED LIGHT is what matters....there are two types of tubes for this ....those which are UV with a UV blue reactive coating...and those with 2 tubes...one UV and one blue....either way...visible light is more " percieved" by the human eye than reflected UV light that has been wavelength shifted by UV reactive components...

Basically...if you want a UV powered glow.. stay with UV tubes, and reactive components

If you want visible light then go with standard visible CC.

If you want a combination...figure on needing 2x the UV as you have visible...maybe even 3-4x.

Back