• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cd drive veticaly mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think your CDs might fall out if you're not careful while closing the tray. ;) Do you just want to do that to be different?

it would be cool to have a slot loader, and have it vertical, and you just put the cd down the top of your case!!

Most cd drives have small clips that will keep the cd in the tray however you load it. Some people run their computer on its side so there shouldnt be a problem with that.

You guys remember the Power Mac Cube? That had a top slot loading DVD drive that didn't use a tray...it was a very cool idea. Maybe you could ebay one of those drives or find something similar with another brand.

yeah, slot loaded would be the coolest i think. but i think that a regular one would work, just make sure that the tray has the tabs and test it on a blank or crappy cd or something so that if it doesn't work, no harm, no foul. otherwise just make sure to be careful while putting cd's in. sounds great though.

yeah, i think the only thing to be worried about would be no maximum speed or wear because of that. I would think that the different position might cause a little extra wear and tear.

I am not too sure about the newer cd-roms and dvd-roms but I know the older ones had a switch within the tray to allow the drive to be mounted vertically making it impossible for the cd to drop out.

oh well screw that i might do that to one of mine, probably the top one on the raid controller but thats an RW drive. then ill cut a window in the top of the case so you can see it...or would that affect how well it reads?

anyone have a pic of that? or the link? ive taken apart CDROMs before i honestly dont see the big deal in just cutting some of the metal off of the case and slapping plexiglass in there

Back