• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CELERON 800 - Help me with my overclocking PLZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dak

Hi, first post here. :D

I have a
Celeron 800 - Cc0
Asus CUSL2-C - bios 1009
512 MB of RAM - 2 sticks both 133 MHz (one by Infineon, the other unknown)
250W Deer ATX power supply

I've installed Prime 95, Sisoft basic, & MBM 5 w/ Shutdown.

Now, I tried to bump it straight to 133Mhz FSB and it wouldn't even last 15 minutes on Prime 95. It will hang by then (tried 4-5 times). It won't even pass the first Prime test.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's the temperature. Once it hits around 50 Celsius, the whole thing gets flakey. Does being around 50 mean that Celerons will stop being fully functional? Please don't tell me to make any major purchases to fix this. I'm not about to spend $40 on a cooler for a $100 processor. It does seem to be stable if I don't push the CPU much. I've run it at over 48 hours at 133 MHz FSB without - seemingly - any problems, doing my usual tasks like d/ling, IRC, surfing, etc.

The temperature of the MB seems to stay around 40 C, whether or not I'm pushing the CPU or not. On idle/normal everyday use, the CPU is around 25 - 30 C. If I run Prime 95 to bring CPU usage to 100%, it heads upward of 50 C, which is when it would typically crash.

My question is how can I CHEAPLY go about getting my Celeron overclocked to a decent speed.

My fan setup: I have an 80 mm case fan in the front. I recently bought another 80mm fan, but couldn't figure out where I could put it, since there didn't seem to be any place I can screw/mount it. The CPU cooler is the one that came with my retail packaged Celeron.

I also have a HD fan in front (it's actually right IN FRONT of my power supply). Does this drastically affect the air circulation? All three of my 5 1/4 bays are right in front of the power supply, so I can't figure out what I can do.

I left the voltage at 1.70, since I didn't want to boost the temperature even higher by bumping it to 1.75.

Anyone have suggestions on what I can do? (so long as it's cheap). THANKS. Looking forward to your replies.

I also found something odd about the RAM settings in BIOS. Using SPD, when I was at 100 MHz FSB, it was 3-2-2, 7-9. When I set it to 133 Mhz, it changed to 3-3-3, 7-9. Is that odd?

sounds like too much heat. You might be able to help the heat transfer to the HSF tho.

Get a piece of glass, put some 1000 grade sandpaper on it and rub the base of your heatsink smooth (remove the thermal pad first with a piece of plastic). If you have some metal polish or even gritty cleaner stuff, you can polish it to a mirror finish.

Then use a tiny drop of AS3 or other thermal grease stuff (pref silver as it is a good conductor) and place your polished smooth HSF directly on the silicon. This shoudl help a bit, however your HSF may be too small.

You could also just buy a cheap but big HSF-like a cheap coolermaster. Surface area is all that counts really.

You could also try dropping the core voltage a little- thi will make it run cooler.

Back