• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech VNF3-250 impressions and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CordialSpam said:
Anways I'm trying to push this thing up more to like a 2550...any clue what should I do to able to push this thing further? I tried raising the voltage and still doesn't work ..and I'm afraid of raising the vcore too much up...tried dimm volatege at 2.7..is it my memeory backing me off??

Don't do it. I backed mine to 2505 Mhz right now. I can run it at 2565 (285x9) pretty stable, but I have to feed it 1.65 volts. And at that speed my temps were 41/49 idle/load. But if I run it at 2505 (278x9), I only have to give it 1.55 volts and my temps drops to 32/37 idle/load. Yeah I know those temps are probably wrong, but relatively, a huge difference between the two speeds. I would much rather lose 60 Mhz so that I can run my CPU much cooler and at much less voltage. Furthermore, now I only have to give my RAM 2.8 volts rather then 2.9. So bottom line, I think the sweet spot for most of these midrange Newcastles is 2.5 Ghz. Good luck bud.

spazzmattah said:
Just curious, what speed are you setting your memory to in the BIOS when you ran 250x10? If it's at 200, you're running the memory at 500 mhz, it might be memory problems. If you set it to 166, then it's running at 208x2 or 416 Mhz and that shouldn't pose any problems for the RAM you have.

I have it set at 166, so yeah, I doubt it is the memory craping out at 416MHz (250x10), but not sure what else to look for as the culprit. Shouldn't be hard to test out if I ever get the time.

Cordial and I seem to be topping out around the same place. I am running 245x10 stable with my vcore set to 1.55 (showing 1.60 actual). my full load temp peaks aroun 59. Higher than I'd like, but not sure I can believe it either. I've even notice the idle temp is different in 'DigiDoc' than in the BIOS.

Evanwink and Cordial,
Just curious, when you guys run your FSB at 250, what do you guys set your HT at (x4 or x3)? If you set it to x4, you're running your HT at 1000 which is unstable for this board. I'm running mine x3 (278x3=834)

VNF3-250 w/ SATA RAID Overclock?

This question is more directed at spazzmattah but anyone input/experience is appreciated.

Here are details about my rig:
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe (w/ an empty VNF3-250 sitting on the side).
Watercooled rig running 1/2" inner diameter hosing and Hydor L35 pump.
A64 3200+ 1MB cache running at 266x10 @ 1.7v (watercooled using DangerDen RBX) - Prime95 stable - 30C idle, 36C load.
2x 512mb OCZ 3700EB
Audigy 2 ZS
2x SATA WD 74GB raptors in RAID0
BFG GeForce 6800GT @ 1.5V running at 472 core/1260 memory (watercooled using DangerDen 6800 block) - stable 41C idle, 48C load.
OCZ PowerStream 520

Everything runs great (and really fast) on my current setup except my SATA RAID hardrives start corrupting files after a certain point because of the overclock and lack of PCI/AGP lock in the older A64 mobos. This corruption is getting on my nerves and I plan on moving my current rig into my currently empty VNF3-250 to see if the situation gets better.

I noticed that spazzmattah is running SATA RAID on the VNF3-250 at 2500mhz+. Do you ever have any corruption issues w/ nvRaid at that speed on the VNF3-250? I've seen postings/articles about NF3250GB boards running good overclocks w/ SATA drives on SATA connector 3&4 but not 1&2 for the MSI, DFI boards but the VNF3-250 only has 2 connectors for SATA.

Has anyone w/ SATA nvRAID using the VNF3-250 had any problems w/ HD corruption when overclocking?

rrx said:
This question is more directed at spazzmattah but anyone input/experience is appreciated.

Here are details about my rig:
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe (w/ an empty VNF3-250 sitting on the side).
Watercooled rig running 1/2" inner diameter hosing and Hydor L35 pump.
A64 3200+ 1MB cache running at 266x10 @ 1.7v (watercooled using DangerDen RBX) - Prime95 stable - 30C idle, 36C load.
2x 512mb OCZ 3700EB
Audigy 2 ZS
2x SATA WD 74GB raptors in RAID0
BFG GeForce 6800GT @ 1.5V running at 472 core/1260 memory (watercooled using DangerDen 6800 block) - stable 41C idle, 48C load.
OCZ PowerStream 520

Everything runs great (and really fast) on my current setup except my SATA RAID hardrives start corrupting files after a certain point because of the overclock and lack of PCI/AGP lock in the older A64 mobos. This corruption is getting on my nerves and I plan on moving my current rig into my currently empty VNF3-250 to see if the situation gets better.

I noticed that spazzmattah is running SATA RAID on the VNF3-250 at 2500mhz+. Do you ever have any corruption issues w/ nvRaid at that speed on the VNF3-250? I've seen postings/articles about NF3250GB boards running good overclocks w/ SATA drives on SATA connector 3&4 but not 1&2 for the MSI, DFI boards but the VNF3-250 only has 2 connectors for SATA.

Has anyone w/ SATA nvRAID using the VNF3-250 had any problems w/ HD corruption when overclocking?

I run Raid 0 with my 2 Western Digitals for about a month now. I have not had any corruption issues that I'm aware of. I work a lot with large files (video editing) so it helps a lot when moving large files around. Like I said I've only used it for a month. Took me a little fiddling around to get WinXP to boot off my Raid though, it was the first time I played around with Raid.

Sweet! I'll give it a try tonight and post back on my results. I'm going to test the hardrive out by filling it to capacity and running Scandisk or Norton Disk Doctor to scan for corruption. Thanks.

spazzmattah said:
I run Raid 0 with my 2 Western Digitals for about a month now. I have not had any corruption issues that I'm aware of. I work a lot with large files (video editing) so it helps a lot when moving large files around. Like I said I've only used it for a month. Took me a little fiddling around to get WinXP to boot off my Raid though, it was the first time I played around with Raid.

I've had issues w/ the VNF3-250 and 40 pin IDE hardrives. It didn't like an older WD 80gb UDMA IDE hardrive and refused to post. I only found out about it after I started pulling devices out one at a time. When I pulled the hardrive it posted; plug the hardrive back in - no POST. Same thing w/ an older Maxtor 40GB UDMA drive I have. Both of the hardrives are working fine today in another computer which rules out that both of my hardrives were shot. All of this was done w/ the 3/8/04 stock BIOS. Since then I have the 7/29/04 BIOS but haven't reinstalled the board ever since I flashed. (yet).

I also had an issue w/ my USB mouse attached during bootup. That also caused a few no POSTS for me where clearing the CMOS didn't help. Try using a PS2 mouse or a USB-> PS2 adaptor. The 7/29/04 BIOS fixes the USB mouse at bootup issue.

Catalan said:
Thing is I never adjusted the ram settings...Cleared cmos and still no boot. So I guess it has compatibility problems with the 9800 pro?

spazzmattah said:
Evanwink and Cordial,
Just curious, when you guys run your FSB at 250, what do you guys set your HT at (x4 or x3)? If you set it to x4, you're running your HT at 1000 which is unstable for this board. I'm running mine x3 (278x3=834)

I'm setting mine at 4x right now...I think I'm going to lower it to 3x and do 250x10 and see if it is stable at 1.55v in bios. Btw did you set your vcore at 1.55 in bios and it showed as 1.6 or somethig right? Anyways..are there any way to lower my cpu multiplier to like 9x?? I checked in bios my Spread Spectrum is disabled..dunno how to enable it.. So that way I can get to 800ish HT isntead of 750. Other question is that does lower HT makes any big difference in system performance?

Last edited:
spazzmattah said:
Evanwink and Cordial,

Not quite true. There are many people running 250fsb with a 4x HTT setting, me included, with NO stability issues whatsoever. Anything over 1000 gets a bit flaky, but since you are running your fsb at 278 you obviouly can't do 4x HTT since that is way over at 1112fsb, too high.

If you are at 250fsb or so, 4x HTT works fine as long as everythng else is properly tweaked.

CordialSpam said:
Other question is that does lower HT makes any big difference in system performance?

Not really in games because the HTT bandwidth is tremendous already even at 800....

therapture said:
Not quite true. There are many people running 250fsb with a 4x HTT setting, me included, with NO stability issues whatsoever. Anything over 1000 gets a bit flaky, but since you are running your fsb at 278 you obviouly can't do 4x HTT since that is way over at 1112fsb, too high.

If you are at 250fsb or so, 4x HTT works fine as long as everythng else is properly tweaked.

I knew someone would challenge that the minute I post it. I'm not going to disagree with you. However, every motherboard is different. Mine would fail Prime 95 within 5 minutes if the HT is over 980 (245x4). Some might be able to handle 1100 just fine too. But why not eliminate this out of the factor! Just put it at x3, even if you go under 750, the performance hit is miniscule. But if if still fails at x3, then you know it's not the HT and go from there.

Ok I can't really reach 2.5ghz for some reason...I tried putting vCore to 1.55 and 1.60 in bios and both failed prime at 250x10, 166 divider and 3x HTT. I also tried putting my cousin's Kingston PC4000 HyperX running at ONLY 208!!! and prime failed in 2 MINUTES!! So I guess it is not my ram. I am now going to try 1.65vCore in bios and see what happens..

Btw there is some weird problem...if try to set my memry to 133 or AUTO(1:1), my comp will not work over 240 FSB for some reason...my CPU will stay remain at 2000mhz dispalyed at load screen and it will shows error..won't boot up..

EDIT: Prime failed in 10 minutes with 1.65 vcore (bios) and it is displayed as 1.75v. What should I do now!?? I want able to hit 2.5!!

Last edited:
CordialSpam said:
Ok I can't really reach 2.5ghz for some reason...I tried putting vCore to 1.55 and 1.60 in bios and both failed prime at 250x10, 166 divider and 3x HTT. I also tried putting my cousin's Kingston PC4000 HyperX running at ONLY 208!!! and prime failed in 2 MINUTES!! So I guess it is not my ram. I am now going to try 1.65vCore in bios and see what happens..

Btw there is some weird problem...if try to set my memry to 133 or AUTO(1:1), my comp will not work over 240 FSB for some reason...my CPU will stay remain at 2000mhz dispalyed at load screen and it will shows error..won't boot up..

EDIT: Prime failed in 10 minutes with 1.65 vcore (bios) and it is displayed as 1.75v. What should I do now!?? I want able to hit 2.5!!

One last thing, your RAM command rate, is it 1T or 2T? Try setting it at 2T. Otherwise, that's all I can think of. Hate to say this, but maybe your CPU probably hit its limit at 2.45 GHz with your cooling solution. That's still not a bad OC.

Ok I'll try out with the 2T memroy setting..but I doubt is the memory tho...going to prime this 2.45 for 24 hrs and see if it is stable..last time I ran prime for 14 hr and paused it. Anyways anyone here know how to set down the multiplier down to 9x in bios?? I'm trying to figure this out but it says my Spread Spectrum is disabled...

CordialSpam said:
Ok I'll try out with the 2T memroy setting..but I doubt is the memory tho...going to prime this 2.45 for 24 hrs and see if it is stable..last time I ran prime for 14 hr and paused it. Anyways anyone here know how to set down the multiplier down to 9x in bios?? I'm trying to figure this out but it says my Spread Spectrum is disabled...

No it's not a memory question. I think I read somewhere where someone post saying that their VNF3-250 mobo doesn't like the 1T timing, and they have some really high quality RAM too. I know mine will crash immediately if I use 1T, but with me, it's my RAM isn't rated for 1T. Just give it a shot. Good luck.

Just tried 2T memeory but no luck..prime still failed in 11 minutes..I guess I will keep it as 2.45. I don't see what I can do now to oc this up more....if it is cooling issue I wouldn't spend extra 40 for XP-90 or w/e for a 100mhz difference..

CordialSpam said:
Just tried 2T memeory but no luck..prime still failed in 11 minutes..I guess I will keep it as 2.45. I don't see what I can do now to oc this up more....if it is cooling issue I wouldn't spend extra 40 for XP-90 or w/e for a 100mhz difference..

I have the same problem with trying to get my processor past 2510mhz. It rums perfectly fine at that speed at 1.525 (overvolted to 1.575 or so) but after that it's totally unstable. If I set the vcore to 1.6 I can get into windows at 2.6Ghz, but it crashes pretty quickly.

I really suspect that it's a thermal issue, but I won't know for sure until I can get a new waterblock. And at any rate I'm satisfied with where I'm at for the moment.

Hey will someone posts these "beta bios" and also make a little guide or w/e for overclocking with this board? I must be doing something wrong. I can do 250FSB no problem on 9x multi, but I can't even do 236FSB on 10x multi. Any help?

thx

DamienKC said:
Hey will someone posts these "beta bios" and also make a little guide or w/e for overclocking with this board? I must be doing something wrong. I can do 250FSB no problem on 9x multi, but I can't even do 236FSB on 10x multi. Any help?

thx

Are you certain that you got a CG revision chip? It seems odd that you wouldn't be able to go higher when so many have had good success. There really isn't much to it as far as I can tell, not enough to neccessitate a guide. Set the vcore to 1.55 or so and that's it, at least that's as easy as it was for me.

I'd do some general troubleshooting if I were you - reseat the heatsink, replace the thermal grease, make sure you have good airflow to the heatsink and over the motherboard, try overclocking with minimal components connected, verify that your PSU is putting out stable voltages, etc etc.

Yes, in CPU-Z it says CG revision...

The psu's rails are fine, under prime load the 12v is at 11.90. I've reseated the heatsink twice now, both times trying different amounts of AS5 (it seems to be the lowest temps the way it is right now). There pretty much is minimal components running atm.

Should I sell it and get another? =\

Back