• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech VNF3-250 impressions and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DamienKC said:
Hey will someone posts these "beta bios" and also make a little guide or w/e for overclocking with this board? I must be doing something wrong. I can do 250FSB no problem on 9x multi, but I can't even do 236FSB on 10x multi. Any help?

thx

It is very strange that you can run 250x9, but not 236x10 for a 3000+, because the the 3000+ default multiplier is 10! I'm going to ask this anyways, don't take it as an insult. But are you sure you have the 3000+ and not the 2800+?

Uh, yeah it's the 3000+. The box it came in is the 3000+, the bios says 3000+, CPU-Z says 3000+. The reason it's running at 9x multi is because I changed it using clockgen. Since I have pc4000 ram i wanted to be able to run it to it's specced speed. =)

DamienKC said:
Uh, yeah it's the 3000+. The box it came in is the 3000+, the bios says 3000+, CPU-Z says 3000+. The reason it's running at 9x multi is because I changed it using clockgen. Since I have pc4000 ram i wanted to be able to run it to it's specced speed. =)

Alright, that was a dumb question anyways. Can you run it at any FSB at all with a 10X multiplier?

The highest I've been able to do on 10x multiplier 100% stable is 232FSB (meaning prime running for roughly 24 hours) on stock voltage. I can do 236FSB @ 1.6v in bios (1.625 actual), but fails prime after about 3 hours.

Yes, in bios I can do 232 FSB on 10x multiplier prime stable.

It's just weird.

Maybe I should start saving for an XP-90 and cut up some chipsinks and sink up my board, as well as replace the stupid stock heatsink on northbridge

spazzmattah said:
Evanwink and Cordial,
Just curious, when you guys run your FSB at 250, what do you guys set your HT at (x4 or x3)? If you set it to x4, you're running your HT at 1000 which is unstable for this board. I'm running mine x3 (278x3=834)

been away awhile, so just saw this.

Yes, I am running at x4 HT when I try 250 FSB. I have to add that to my list of things to try now.

Cordial... I was pretty sure that the newest BIOS release allowed the lower multipliers. I haven't used them at all, and it has been so long since I was messing with all this that I don't even remember if I actually saw them available in the BIOS. Will check later on.

Cordial... I was pretty sure that the newest BIOS release allowed the lower multipliers. I haven't used them at all, and it has been so long since I was messing with all this that I don't even remember if I actually saw them available in the BIOS. Will check later on.

Yea I got it to work but it won't even boot up at 270x9 (2.43) or 265....I guess my mobo does not like high fsb...and those are at 3x HTT...so I guess I'll just use 10x multiplier.

Anyone have a link to the "newest/best" beta bios?

The newest 9/21 beta bios is just out..yesterday I beleive..there is a link on this forum section..(below this thread) on the korean site. I'm using it right now and see no imporvement cept I guess they fixed the cd-rom boot issues(what I heard) and the temps are still the same.

Well then.. I'll add my bit since things have changed for me.

VNF-250
A64 3000 NC CG
XP-90 w/ 92mm Tornado on Rheo
Fortron 530
PQI Turbo 3200 (2-2-2-5 Samsung TCCD)

Currently running prime stable @ 2400 with low temps. 1.55 volts.

Temp reading is completely ****ed by the way - no matter what my case temp is ALWAYS 32 degrees -_-; Shows 48 idle, 54 load - probed and it wasn't nearly that hot ;p Tornado turned up all the way or heavily reduced gives no change in temperature. Yea - bull**** :) I'm in an air conditioned dorm room..

Ram is running @ 240 1:1 with no problem with fairly tight timings.. 2.5-3-3-8. I was trying to get the elusive 2.6ghz stable but couldn't do it... I don't think the ram was crapping out however. 2.5 wasn't even really an issue - prime stable as well.

I'll drop to 3x HT and losen ram timings and kick it up to see if I can get 2.6ghz @ 1:1 . That's what was crashing me earlier ;p

TCCD is some wicked stuff though.. It will work all over the place with respectable timings.

Teger said:
Well then.. I'll add my bit since things have changed for me.

VNF-250
A64 3000 NC CG
XP-90 w/ 92mm Tornado on Rheo
Fortron 530
PQI Turbo 3200 (2-2-2-5 Samsung TCCD)

Currently running prime stable @ 2400 with low temps. 1.55 volts.

Temp reading is completely ****ed by the way - no matter what my case temp is ALWAYS 32 degrees -_-; Shows 48 idle, 54 load - probed and it wasn't nearly that hot ;p Tornado turned up all the way or heavily reduced gives no change in temperature. Yea - bull**** :) I'm in an air conditioned dorm room..

Ram is running @ 240 1:1 with no problem with fairly tight timings.. 2.5-3-3-8. I was trying to get the elusive 2.6ghz stable but couldn't do it... I don't think the ram was crapping out however. 2.5 wasn't even really an issue - prime stable as well.

I'll drop to 3x HT and losen ram timings and kick it up to see if I can get 2.6ghz @ 1:1 . That's what was crashing me earlier ;p

TCCD is some wicked stuff though.. It will work all over the place with respectable timings.

That's some nice OCing. That's the kind of stuff I expect to see with these Newcastles (2.5 - 2.6 Ghz). Great job!

Running 2510 stable now ;p I've also got active cooling on the northbridge btw.. Still at 4x HT as well..

I am going to order This MB and a new chip next weekend. Is This
the chip that ya'll are using for these great overclocks?

If not, would someone be so kind as to give me a link. I have been using Asus boards for the last few years, and am really looking forward to getting my hands on this Chaintech. Looks great!

clash said:
I am going to order This MB and a new chip next weekend. Is This
the chip that ya'll are using for these great overclocks?

If not, would someone be so kind as to give me a link. I have been using Asus boards for the last few years, and am really looking forward to getting my hands on this Chaintech. Looks great!

Model #: ADA3000AEP4AP

As is my understanding, that is an older chip and might not OC as well. You need to make sure the model # has an 'AX' in it and not an 'AP'. In retail boxed solutions you can also look for an 'AX' though it's in the middle of the code. All of the following processors should be good:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-491&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-486&depa=0

Go to the CPU section of these forums and read over the stickied information about A64 processors before making a final decision.

Btw Spazz does taking out the grid from Tornado helps at all? I have the grid on it but not sure should I take it off or not. I also having problem tighting them first time when I did it..I used wire that you talked about, the one from those sound card...any they can broke very easily...now they're kinda lose...once my AS5 gets here I'm going to re-apply the AS5 and use some kind of different wire to tight the tornado up.

CordialSpam said:
Btw Spazz does taking out the grid from Tornado helps at all? I have the grid on it but not sure should I take it off or not. I also having problem tighting them first time when I did it..I used wire that you talked about, the one from those sound card...any they can broke very easily...now they're kinda lose...once my AS5 gets here I'm going to re-apply the AS5 and use some kind of different wire to tight the tornado up.

Sorry, I've been out of the loop in the forum. You mean the fan grill? I don't think it makes much difference. I don't have it on though. I just make sure not to stick my finger or anything else on it while it's running :) . Yeah those speak wires are very fragile. I just knod them like 5 times so they aren't coming lose at all. But I think you can find a much better wire, I just happen to use them because they are right there infront of me. Even dental floss might work well.

so how off is the temps really? I'm using stock 7/29 bios, and it's hitting 66c in prime, yet I touch the heatsink and it's a little hot, but it's by no means burning. It feels about the same my stock intel heatsink was when it was reporting 53c on my northwood. I would say 10c too high or so. Any input?

Back