• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech VNF3-250 impressions and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think we know how off is the sensor but I am hitting 61-62C priming with this thing with stock HSF + 80mm torando...so yea that doesn't sound right and the heatsink does not get hot, it is just warm and never get hot, but I can assume it is about 10C? or the temp IS RIGHT?

The sensor is wrong for sure. I get 49C with watercooling and the radiator outside so the water is quite cold, impossible that the cpu would heat it up that much. My Xp has stock heatsink and that is much hotter to the touch than the A64 but the temp difference according to the sensors is 1C. +10C might be right.

Hey how you guys did to put the 80mm fan on the stock heatsink ???
I saw the picture and the first page but I didn't understand at all, do you have other pictures ???

thanks

I used plastic coverred trash bag twist-ties to put my fan on. Seemed to do the trick quite well. I like the dental floss idea that was suggested earlier also.

Hello...

I've just joined the A64 crowd, but I'm already underway trying to improve, but having a few problems.

First, is an obvious but stupid question, but how can I tell what revision of Bios I'm running? The Multiplier is there, and the temps seem correct, but it doesn' pause long enough on bootup for me to see the BIOS loading without going directly into the BIOS setup screens. I'm coming from a Duron 1100, and the initial bootup lasted 5-10 sec, and I could read the BIOS revision, now its too fast to read.

I searched around, and ended up buying this VNF3 based on its general overclockability and price. I also bought a 2800+. ADA2800AEP4AX, which I understand is Newcastle, and CBAEC0426UPGW, which I understand is the CO memory controller. ( I hope I'm right ).

I have and Antec 350W PS, and a single stick of Corsair CMX512-3200C2 RAM. I also bought a XP-90 and 92mm Zalman fan for it. Using what I've found on the net I got it up to 2.098GHZ quickly, but I've hit a wall there.

Even with 1.6V on the core, 2.9V on the RAM, HTT at 3X, and the Mem clock at 166, the highest I seem to be able to go on the bus is 233. 1 MHZ more and the BIOS beeeeeeeeeps on reboot twice then reverts back to stock speeds. This is at 9x. That means the ram is only doing 383MHZ, which is below its rating, and well below what I thought good Corsair LL ram would be capable of. I even dropped the timings to 2T, 2.5-6-6-9 and it didn't help.

At the current settings, its Prime95 stable all night, but I can't go even one step higher which sucks. Should I mess with the voltages on the chipset? Bite the bullitt and get even faster ran? How can I tell whether its CPU limited or RAM limited. In the past my CPU limitations would allow me to boot, but fail Prime, I never have hit a wall this hard before. Because of my cooling and PS I have to rule them out.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Ryan.

Hmm weird problem, try 1.65 on vCore and raise the AGP to 67 to enable the PCI lock and see if that helps. The bios/motherboard will never beeps to me unless it is my ram, I've even tried oc this baby to 2.8ghz but memory at very low setting and it DOES NOT BEEP so I am guessing you prob have defeactive ram, check your ram and see if it is the problem.

Thanks.

I feared it was RAM, as CPU limits don't really show up like this. I just hate that I bought good name brand CAS2 ram and its my limiting factor.

Is there a preferred RAM for this MB. I'd prefer a single 512 stick, and I've read the "TCCD" ram works really well. How do you tell what kind of chips are on specific ram?

Yes the TCCDs can work pretty well at low voltage unlike the BH-5s require to have 3.2v+ to see the perforamnce. You can try out the Ballistix, I'ver heard some good things about them or some of those PQI's or you can just get some Valuerams like I did and it worked fine.

Phhhffftt. I've tried a bunch of things. I flashed the newest BIOS on the North American Chaintech site. Nothing.

I tried using the 67MHZ AGP, it didn't help. I upped the voltage to 1.700V and it didn't help. It seems like the high 2.088GHZ is it. If I drop the HTT to 3X, the Mem limit to 166 I still can't go past that mark, the machine just blackscreens on rebooting out of the BIOS. JUNK.

Anyone have any thoughts? Even now its not totally stable, as during burning it has a Referenced Memory error during the burn.

The only thing that's different between my system and everyone else is my Double Density Corsair CMX ram, and my SATA Barracuda. I guess I just got a bum chip.

Thoughts?

Ryan

Minor update. When I reaching the current limits, I see a screen after the main BIOS bootup screen, its showing me the Realtek chips initialzation of the raid array. But Raid is disabled in the BIOS. When I press the Shift F10 it tells me to to adjust, I have a Realtek screen where I can choose what the computer tries to boot first. BIOS defaults, Network first. IDE first or Internal 18H, which I'm assuming is a memory location.

This screen also gives a post code of 8B, one I have not been able to identify with the standard Nforce3 Post Code list. Again, I only see this screen above 2 GHZ overclock.

Strange.

BOOOOO. I'm pretty sure I'm CPU limited. I tried a friends RAM and 2.086 is about it before it locks up. Darnit. I also noticed that the Digi Cloc thing that shows the Voltages on the board, never shows the Vdimm correctly ( or I hope it doesn't ) its 2.57V regardless of what I set it too in the BIOS. And it doesn't ever change, making me think the software is just not working.

Oh well. At least the high AGP voltages allowed me to overclock my videocard way higher than I could before.

I flahsed up to the newest ( I think 9/21 ) just to see if that helped. My temp readings were correct when I got the board, so it changed nothing there. What it did do was change the in Windows readings of VDimm voltage so they are stuck at 2.57V no matter what I do in the bios ( although they are actually changing ) and now the HDD activity light works for my SATA drive. Other than that I noticed no changes.

Chipset drivers? If you mean for the Nforce3, whatever came with the board's CD.

ryan you said you made the temp reading correctly by making the Windows dispalys the vDimm stuck at 2.57? if it DOES fix the temp reading, how did you do that? (I doubt that is what you ment lol)

Anyways for chipset driver, I use the latest driver from nvidia's site, it is the Sept something one, pretty new.

And I am using 9/21 bios right now because upgrading from 7/29 to 10/19 my OC is not stable anymore at 2450 and now I am trying the 9/21 bios see if it works out, still testing.

Is there any way to get into windows without it stopping because of temps? Cordial your load hits higher than mine, yet you're running 2.55ghz. Since our temps are almost the same, what exactly have you done? And what are your overclocking settings in bios?

thx

Back