• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change team location to international?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Should Our BOINC SETI Team's "Country" Be Changed To "International"?

• No. Keep the country as the United States

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • Yes. Change the country to International

Votes: 48 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
KenCo said:
When 46 people, likely not even all from this team, can speak for over two thousand, it's time for me to move on. So not without some sadness I have left Overclockers.com and joined Team SETI.USA.
Of those 2000 only around 200 are active. 72 people voted in total. If we assume that the people who voted are active crunchers than about 1/3rd of active crunchers voted. Undoubtedly not everyone who voted is an active cruncher so it may be more like 1/4 of active crunchers voted. As TC said, the others either chose not to vote or aren't active forum members and don't know this vote exists.

I'm really sad to see people leave over this. That certainly was never my intention. I wish those who are leaving the best of luck with your new teams. I'd be happy to see any of you come back should you find your new team isn't the fit you're looking for.

Now that the servers are returning to normal we should really get a race going ASAP to get the positivity and excitement flowing around here again.

Last edited:
eaglescouter said:
Too bad that we were not able to cast one vote per seti workunit/cs. Thus allowing those with more committed assets to carry greater weight.
But that would be like giving people votes in an election based on their income.

"So for them you can say essentially they gave up their vote by not participating."
That's the saddest part of this whole thing, IMHO. Between this and the what I see as a change in emphasis towards other BOINC projects and away from SETI which is my reason for being on the team I think I'll be moving on also.
"I'm here because I like overclocking."
I agree here and I plan on continuing to be on the forums, just not this particular team.

TC said:
As for your decision to move on, I hate to see that, but I guess it shows that some people are more concerned about the country affiliation than the organization the team is based on. I'm here because I like overclocking.

Is there a reason you felt it necessary to say that? Maybe I'm just in a daze after finishing finals but it seems like your implying that their decision to change teams somehow means they don't care about this community. Last time I checked crunching for overclockers wasn't a requisite to being a great member of the ocforums and there are in fact many good people here who don't crunch for us ( feel free to join in of course .) I'm just saying I actually see Larry, Skab, and Kenco in other areas of the forums and I don't even think I need to say I hope I'll see them around because I'm sure I will. Just because they aren't crunching for the oc team doesn't make them lesser members of our community.

That said if you three think about it, no matter what team you crunch for your credits still go to the US. Just check bonicstats or any stats page that has an option to list stats by country. You can still crunch for us and your credits are still counted towards the country you want. Sure maybe they don't explicitly go to a US team but they still count, just something to think about. See ya around guys.

Maybe I'm in a daze because my mother just died from cancer - but it seems like a perfectly clear observation to me. They decided to leave the team because of the change from US to International. What more can you say - that meant more to them than the principals upon which the team is based. I'm in no way knocking them or anything else they've done for the forums - it's purely an observation about this turn of events.

lol, the principle upon which the team is based is that we overclock our computers to achieve maximum performance. Sorry, just seemed funny.

Very sorry to hear about your loss TC. That's a tough one.

Well you know what I mean. The way I see it (and this is just my opinion of course) we join teams because they represent something we can relate to and/or are interested in. In our case overclocking. If you simply want to show your allegiance to a country then join a country branded team, like Team USA. I'm not taking a crack at anyone that wanted to leave by any means, it just seems to me that you guys were more interested in the country than what the team motto is all about.

No "Simply" about it TC....This was a decision that I did NOT come to lightly!

I've been with the OC Seti team since the first day I crunched a W/U. So I DID/Do Feel a lot of loyalty to the team!

I could see from where the "Push" to change FROM a USA team Came.

And everytime I had to ask myself What were the motivations I saw.

Now that the desision was final ( and I am NOT one to whine about loosing..you had to make a call ...and you did..KUDOS)

But almost immediately after..you could read certain posts where the same individuals that pushed the issue admitted that "They were sick and tired of searching for aliens" and had moved to other projects.

Now you tell me, Honestly, does this sound like someone that had the SETI TEAM in mind at all???

Anyway...personally I did what I felt I had to do..

You made the call..and you did what you had to do...I respect that..and have no hard feelings about it at all.

Larry

P.S. A truly Heartfelt Condolence on the passing of your Mother. You seem to be holding up better than I could ever hope!

TC, very sorry to here about your mother. This issue is probably not what you need to be dealing with at this time either.

The decision for me to change teams was based more on what I percieve to be a shift towards BOINC vice SETI. Added to this feeling was this decision to go international which was pushed by (IMO) several of the same members that are the driving force behind the move towards BOINC becoming the main priority of this team just made of tough decision a little easier.
Country affialiation is as good a reason as any other to join a team but with the main emphasis of SETI, then all the more reason for me.

TC, very sorry to here about your loss.

I dont have much time of late to visit this forum and i am very sad to see people leave because of a name change, I am British and very proud to be so, i used to crunch for a British team but changed to OC.com because of the people here, it maters not the country the team crunch for, but the fact that we choose to do this together for Overclockers.com.
I do think with all the different projects under the bionc banner that we should have seperate places to post for your project of choice lets make the seti part of this forum for seti.

I didn't make the decision lightly either. But I felt that there was not enough consensus to make this change. Only 44 people have posted in this thread. Since I had a little time I went through every post (again) and made note of each poster position. For some I had to make a judgement call but I think this is very nearly accurate. 23 posters were for the change to international, 16 against, 2 didn't care (and I had no feel for their leaning), and 3 gave no indication at all. Most posters didn't seem to have a stong opinion and seemed happy to go either way.

The percentages come out similar to the poll. But I don't think 23 opinions is enough to have based this change on. 4 of those 23 are inactive and 3 others I don't see on the stats page (could crunch under another name).

I value every member of whatever team I'm on and have equal respect for them no matter where they are. But for me it is important to be affiliated with a US team.

SunRedRX7 said:
Well good luck finding a team thats sticking to "SETI, only SETI, always SETI!!!!" because BOINC is here and multi project is the way its going everywhere

http://stats.kwsn.net/teams.php?proj=all

Team USA's SETI RAC is 26% of their total BOINC RAC in case anyone wondered.

That's all very nice, but we joined SETI.USA and SETI.USA is 81.5 percent SETI@home for total credit and 89.6 percent SETI@home for RAC.

http://stats.kwsn.net/tgraphs.php?proj=all&teamid=21389

EDIT:

One last little tidbit. Not that any of this matters, but I thought it was interesting. Of the 19 (active) members who posted with a leaning to change to international, only 6 had a non-USA location listed. Of those 6 non-USA members, 4 of them explicitly indicated that it was not important to them either way. That leaves only 2 active non-US members who cared about this change.

Last edited:
SunRedRX7 said:
Well good luck finding a team thats sticking to "SETI, only SETI, always SETI!!!!" because BOINC is here and multi project is the way its going everywhere

http://stats.kwsn.net/teams.php?proj=all

Team USA's SETI RAC is 26% of their total BOINC RAC in case anyone wondered.

Look..Rationalize it any way you want.....But Kenco has the correct numbers.

Who are you trying to convince?
Your happy where you are...I'm happy for you.

I can see no justification in your attempt to belittle other people's decisions.

Larry

T/C...this is going nowhere..maybe it's time to lock this post for good or delete it completely.
You decision has been made, and there is no reason to carry on the discussion anymore.

From this point all that's left, if we continue, will be hurt feelings and animosity.
Let's all just move on.

Last edited:
Larry, apply what you just said to yourself! Rationalize it any way you want, but you lost! Now you can either accept it like a man and continue to crunch for overclockers.com or you can leave like you seem to have done. I can see no justification either in your attempts to belittle other people's decisions. You left the team, now why the heck are you still debating this in here, the change has been made. Move on!

I just couldn't help laughing at the irony : If we apply your standards stated earlier, than you have no say at all in this manner anymore since you forfeited your vote when you left the team! lol

Last edited:
See..I knew this was going to start...Now look who is insulting my Manhood.

Way to Rise above. :thup:

I will miss your "Charming" Personality.

Yes, My View wasn't shared and the decision was made to change...I didn't "Loose" anything.

Unlike the respect that you LOST with that above post.
Well...actually you didn't loose it...You GAVE it away freely.

To Everyone else...

Crunch On!!!!!
Larry

Unsubscribing from the thread now..since I'm obviously Not Welcome...

sir_LOIN said:
Larry, apply what you just said to yourself! Rationalize it any way you want, but you lost! Now you can either accept it like a man and continue to crunch for overclockers.com or you can leave like you seem to have done.

Actually, the only real looser was the overclockers.com SETI Team, thanks in no small part to you sir_LOIN.

Today for the first time ever SETI.USA has surpassed Overclockers.com SETI Team in daily RAC.

Last edited:
Larry Quinn said:
T/C...this is going nowhere..maybe it's time to lock this post for good or delete it completely.
You decision has been made, and there is no reason to carry on the discussion anymore.

From this point all that's left, if we continue, will be hurt feelings and animosity.
Let's all just move on.

I couldn't agree more.

Good luck with your new teams to those who left - good luck to those who stayed behind - I hold no hard feelings at all in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back