• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing network (computer) name (mac OS 9.1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuruga2

the lone mac here at work is not recognised on the new network that was just installed and the IT guys (all non-mac'ers) say it is because its name includes a space (" "). our problem is that nobody knows how to rename it.
OS 9.1

can anyone give us a hand?

thanks

Define not recognized.

Do you mean it doesn't show up in Network Neighborhood?

That would be because Macs don't do Windows file sharing out of the box. OSX has support for it, if you turn it on. OS<X requires 3rd party stuff if you want to participate in Windows file sharing.

at school, i setup appletalk services on a server running windows 200 advanced server, then i used the chooser on the mac to connect to it. its really easy.

sorry, i know nothing about this system. its not one of my jobs around here.
all the IT guys said was ~'our network cant see you because the computers name includes a space.'
everything worked fine on the old system, but i dont know what it was running. i also dont know what this one uses other than it a win2k.
the tech guys seem to think everything will be working fine as soon as that network name/ description can be changed

(sorry no one arround here has any knowledge of macs, including me. it was purchased by/for someone who hasnt worked here in years.)

A google search came up with this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

# Click and hold on the Apple menu in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
# Drag the arrow down to Control Panels. A submenu will open.
# Select Sharing Setup (Mac OS 8) or File Sharing (Mac OS 9). Release the mouse button and the appropriate control panel will open.
# In that control panel you will see the current name your computer has. If no one is connected to your computer you will be able to change this name.
# The name should be such that people looking on the network for your computercan easily recognize the name as belonging to your computer. For example, John Doe's G4 or Bob Johnson's Server.

But that's an Appletalk name.

It won't change diddly as far as Windows machines being able to "see" it.

Back