• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest computer build humanely possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I want to build a computer for dedicated firewall no other purpose. What would be the cheapest brand new build available?

Why even use a brand new machine? Find someone selling an old dell optiplex, put a couple intel nics in it and call it a day.

You'll be only using what 100 watts at MOST in that build? probably not even that
(there was a cheaper higher ghz intel dual core but the cheapest motherbaord was 70+dollars)

Im not worried about the load it will pull versus the wattage available. Im worried about the ripple, and it possibly being better at starting fires than running a PC 24/7. Im not saying buy a seasonic platinum, but I am saying to stay away from garbage no matter what.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

For another 20 dollars you can get a 5350 amd quad core in the same motherboard and that'll put you at 150, wheather you want to try the quad core on that motherboard is your risk haha.

Also there is 25 dollars in rebate in that build if you so choose to use it. (maybe buy a cheap cpu cooler and make the pc almost silent?)

Get a Pogoplug and hack it by adding a second NIC. You could stuff a PCIe NIC inside (not easy but I've done it) or plug in a USB NIC (trivial). Total cost about $20-25 after including a SD card for installing aftermarket firmware on.

Back