• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheeky method of overclocking a Phenom II x6 1055t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dodzz7

Registered
Hey this is my 1st post here and I intend it to be both a cheeky way I overclocked my AMD but also a slight problem i want to discuss.

Well I found that most games don't utilize a hex core processor as well as you might expect. But also at the same time I found out that this processor is a very overclockable processor. But at the same time who can be bothered to install a new cooling system and what not.

Ok so here is a cheeky idea i had, why note disable 2 cores and over-clock the rest without changing any of the stockcoolers ? MADNESS you say ???? Well this is AMDDDDD!!!! xD
Think about it, most games utilize 4 cores better than 6 cores (citation needed but google it ).

So this is what I did.
  1. I disabled processors 5 and 6
  2. Changed my CPU multiplier from AUTO to 14x (highest available)
  3. Set my clock value to 242 (to achieve 3.4MHz) (i also could go for 250 but i didnt need that much for LoL and other games i play so i left it )
  4. But me being a noob at overclocking and what not i didnt really know what to do with my voltages and memclocks etc so i left them at auto :$
  5. Also disabled ASUS turbo core and ASUS core unlocker and ASUS Cool n Quiet
  6. Set the Cpu over voltage to 1.225v and HT voltage at auto and the Memory over voltage to about 1.35 (cant remember)
  7. The memclock i left it as it was (400) (i have 1x4gb ddr4200 Ram)

So my idea worked. My max cpu temp is around 50 (after playing for like 3 hours and idle is around 30-42 depends)

BUTTTT My problem is this, when doing a cold boot (1st boot of the day usually) First i get a blank screen, i press the small reset button , then get a "Overclock failed error" then i press the reset button again and bam it boots normally. If i reboot it for the rest of the day this does not occur.

My problem: What is causing this 3 attempts for booting ?

My shizzle:
General
Brand: shinobee
Color: X6 1055T, 1.5 TB, ATI 6870
Form Factor: ATX
Processor
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Type: None
Processor Speed: 2.80 GHz

Memory
RAM Size: 4 GB
Computer Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive Size: 1500 GB
Hard Disk Technology: SATA
Hard Drive Interface: Serial ATA
Additional Drives: DVD+-RW
Graphics
Graphics Coprocessor: ATI
Graphics Card Description: ATI Radeon 6870 1024 MB
Graphics Card Ram Size: 1024 MB
Graphics Card Interface: PCI-E

^bought that pc for £300 xD nice price ehy ?
(sorry for poor formatting or grammer or spelling etc. I am tired from revising for exams)

Last edited:
Please download and install the free program: CPU-z. Post back with pics of these four tabs: "CPU", "Memory","SPD" and "Motherboard". That will give us loads of info about your system and its settings. To attach pics, crop and save the images to disk with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced post window appears click on the little paperclip icon at the top which will call up the files browser and uploader tool. The rest will be obvious. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

The part about the memory overvoltage being set to 1.35 is a little confusing. Is that the final voltage or what you added to it?

Is the a prebuilt system or custom? Box store computer like HP or Gateway or Dell? What is the make an model of the motherboard? What is the make and model and wattage of your PSU?

Ok when i say X over voltage thats what it says on my BIOS. So its not how much i increased it by but its the actual value

Uploaded the CPUZ screenshots.

The desktop is custom made, by a company which i bought it from.

The speed of processor is a little low cause i wanted to see the difference on the perfomance of 3.8MHz, 3.4Mhz and 3.2Mhz- The OC is fine tho its just that booting issue thats annoying

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 211
  • cpiuz.png
    cpiuz.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Why did you give me a pic of the "cache" tab. I wanted the "SPD" tab. It is important. The "Memory" tab reports what your current memory frequency and timings are. The "SPD" tab reports what the memory manufacturer says are the recommended timings and voltages for your ram. I want to compare the two. Please redo that.

Notice from your "SPD" tab what the ram voltage should be according to the memory manufacturer. It should be 1.5v and earlier you said you had "overvolted" it to 1.35v. You are actually undervolting the ram. This could be why you hangup at boot. You need to fix this.

Ahhh thanks but isnt 1.5v really high ? I will set it to 1.5v next reboot and i will check over the next few days to see if it hangs

Last edited:
Hell no 1.5 is becoming the norm...I have mine up to 1.72 and it's fine, runs below50c... As of my mobo bios spec...1.75 isithe next setting which is yellow-- but really, it's really about: volts x heat - cooling = stability (specs components can handle)

And +1 for txus as above

Last edited:
Ahhh thanks but isnt 1.5v really high ? I will set it to 1.5v next reboot and i will check over the next few days to see if it hangs

Look at your own picture of the SPD tab from CPU-z in post #3. The SPD tab displays what the manufacturer recommends for your ram. It says 1.5v. Do you not believe the manufacturer?

Yeah you are right its just i was confused cause the newer chips are set to run at 1.35v but yeah so far its working fine .

My method of the overclock is going well did a prime 95 test for an hour and it was fine (would have done it longer but wanted to play a game xD )

If it still hangs ill try 1.6v but i believe it is working so far

We're not talking about the CPU. They indeed are made to run at 1.35 commonly. We're talking about the memory. I don't know any new desktop memory products that are rated to run at 1.35. They are all 1.5-1.65v.

But at the same time who can be bothered to install a new cooling system and what not.
Everyone here, lol.

Joking aside, the cooling for your CPU isn't a part I would skimp on. That said, the hyper 212+ which is one of the most popular and effective coolers out right now, costs all of 30 dollars and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install. You'd be able to clock at a much higher speed, and even keep all 6 cores enabled.

Everyone here, lol.

Joking aside, the cooling for your CPU isn't a part I would skimp on. That said, the hyper 212+ which is one of the most popular and effective coolers out right now, costs all of 30 dollars and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install. You'd be able to clock at a much higher speed, and even keep all 6 cores enabled.

Well I can reach 3.8MHz and keep it below 55C and i dont really even need it past 3.4MHz. And i also dont need all 6 cores- infact i ordered a quad core and the company sent me a hexa core and said i needed to pay to get the quad core and return the hexa core- so i kept the hexacore :D. When the time comes for me to use all 6 cores at 3.8Mhz i will invest into a cooling system.

Also there are 1.35v ram chips http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233199

In other news, it is still hanging at boot.

I didn't know there were 1.35 ram modules available. You learn something new every day. They are not the norm, however, and yours is not one of them.

I didn't know there were 1.35 ram modules available. You learn something new every day. They are not the norm, however, and yours is not one of them.

Yup i figured as much, but still having booting issues at 1.5v :(

One thought I have about the boot issues is the large disparity between your NB frequency at 2400 and your HT Link frequency which is only 1150. Your low HT Link frequency is due to the limitations of your motherboard chipset. The CPU was designed to have both of them at 2000 mhz stock. Try lowering your NB to 2000 mhz.

my NB frequency is already at 2000 though :S

No it's not. It's at 2300 mhz. Check the CPU-z "CPU" tab picture you posted. When you overclock with the CPU frequency the NB gets faster along with the bus speed increase because they are linked.

One thing that resolves the "NO POST AT BOOT" syndrome (with an overclocked Phenom II) is raising the CPU-NB voltage. Try 1.35-1.43v and you should have no trouble on restarts.

Back