• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choose better GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NealCaff

need help for my build, i have list of GPU that i can afford, help me choose the better one :)

here is the list: Gigabyte R9 270x 2GB windforce, XFX R9 270x DD 4GB, EVGA GTX 760 SC 2GB

If you're around 220 mark for a 760, spend the 20 bucks an get an r9 290 imo. Or wait for the gtx 960 which will come out in a couple weeks.

need help for my build, i have list of GPU that i can afford, help me choose the better one :)

here is the list: Gigabyte R9 270x 2GB windforce, XFX R9 270x DD 4GB, EVGA GTX 760 SC 2GB
I agree wi the others. Out of those, the EVGA would be my pick. You get the step up program too, which would give the option of an upgrade.

Or

As bob4933 said, the 960 is coming out soon. Depending on the retail price it my might be squeezable for you (budget-wise). And if it is well-priced, then AMD may respond my cutting the price of their 290????

Last edited:
Cozumel, 290 has been dancing between 220 and 240 for a while now. The 280/280x/760/770/290x are all horrible purchases now. 270x can be had for 160-180 so that's still viable.

they are poor choices new unless you can get them on sale or used. I regularly see (and just sold, myself) a 290x for $225. Will be selling a 290 here in the next few days for $200 and I regularly see 280x for $150-160.

You will gain power efficiency and DX12 compatibility. Still, expect it to be the price of a 290 with a bit less performance. Maybe not the smartest buy in the world honestly.

While this is true, it might be wise to wait for the 960 to premier and see what it actually throws for performance.. who know AMD could have some price drops when it comes out. Id wait to see if there are 1) price drops and 2) possibly more performance for the new part(doubtful but possible).

While this is true, it might be wise to wait for the 960 to premier and see what it actually throws for performance.. who know AMD could have some price drops when it comes out. Id wait to see if there are 1) price drops and 2) possibly more performance for the new part(doubtful but possible).

If Nvidia follows their current trend, and all signs point to them doing so, the 960 will be roughly equivalent to a 770. Just as a 980 is a 780Ti (roughly) and a 970 is a 780 (give or take). I'd theorize that the 760 will come with a bit less VRAM than the 290 as well, as Nvidia does like profits.

Gtx 960 has leaked specs, but who knows at this time. Specs indicate 965 ti is very much on par with the 290, and the base 960 will have 4gb.

All of this is commensurate on pricing though. With the 970 priced as it is, a 965 should be 250 ish I would think.

Gtx 960 has leaked specs, but who knows at this time. Specs indicate 965 ti is very much on par with the 290, and the base 960 will have 4gb.

All of this is commensurate on pricing though. With the 970 priced as it is, a 965 should be 250 ish I would think.

I don't 100% trust leaked specs because I've seen them be wrong before but it's very nice to know that NVidia will even put 4GB in the midrange cards. That's progress for ya.

I don't 100% trust leaked specs because I've seen them be wrong before but it's very nice to know that NVidia will even put 4GB in the midrange cards. That's progress for ya.

I don't trust em either. Im holding off a purchase of a 290 hoping this 965 is everything its claimed at its claimed price... We'll see in a few days :)

290's will fall a bit more in price, if you're buting new, to game, wait on the 960.
if you just want a new to to mess with or fold a 280/7970 or a 290 are great, cheap fun to muck about with, but the 960 will carry you further into the future.

Back