• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clawhammer and Newcastle performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nanosu

Registered
I've been looking around and looking at comparisons between the Newcastle and Clawhammer cores. The Newcastle seems to be far superior to the clawhammer at stock speeds. I've only seen one benchmark that tested the 3000 and 3200 newcastles alongside the 3200 and 3400 clawhammers, but the 3200 came out just behind the 3400 and way ahead of the 3200 (sorry, I don't remember where that was.) On benchmarks with the 3000 newcastle 3200 clawhammer and 3400 clawhammer, the 3000 seems to be just slightly behind the 3200, while the difference between the 3200 and the 3400 seems to be much greater.

It seems that a lot of people still consider the clawhammer to be the better core despite this. Is this only for overclocking purposes? If running at stock speeds wouldn't the newcastle be much better? I've also read that the 512k cache will have more of an impact in 64 bit applications. Is this true? Has anyone tested both in 64 bit windows by any chance? Is there something else I'm missing?

Nanosu said:
It seems that a lot of people still consider the clawhammer to be the better core despite this. Is this only for overclocking purposes?

I thought more people consider Newcastle the better performer/overclocker. I mean it is newer core.

No idea oc_b, but real life testing with 2 3200+ CPUs in my system showed almost no difference in performance in stock speeds however the Newcastle OCed way better than the Clawhammer and ran more stable at higher speeds.

I was hoping the clawhammer would kick the newcastles butt because of the extra cache but I was wrong.

I agree with oc_b - as AMD go further down the experience curve with the Newcastle's the yields will improve and the overclocking potential will increase in comparison to the older clawhammers.

Wurm said:
No idea oc_b, but real life testing with 2 3200+ CPUs in my system showed almost no difference in performance in stock speeds however the Newcastle OCed way better than the Clawhammer and ran more stable at higher speeds.

I was hoping the clawhammer would kick the newcastles butt because of the extra cache but I was wrong.

Yeah, I remember A64s work the opposite as Bartons - Thoroughbred relationship. If I were to build A64 setup, I can't hesitate to get 3400+ Newcatle DTR/Mobiles (if it's going to come out).

I am very confused now, I was under the impression that the mobile A64 ClawHammer would the best bet for over clockers. Are you now suggesting that NewCastle inspite of its lower cache is a better bet for OC'ing?

kulki said:
I am very confused now, I was under the impression that the mobile A64 ClawHammer would the best bet for over clockers. Are you now suggesting that NewCastle inspite of its lower cache is a better bet for OC'ing?

I don't think they make Newcastle DTR/mobiles yet.

Are you now suggesting that NewCastle inspite of its lower cache is a better bet for OC'ing?

It is better only because it is newer, and newer revisions tend to oc higher I am guessing.

Back