• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning oxidation without shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clickergod

on a custom system running an open loop cooling that cannot be shutdown

how would you remove oxidation from copper based water blocks
I can feed in chemicals through system and flush it out just cannot shut down system to manually soak and clean

any ideas?

incase anyone is wondering its a server that generally has several hundred people logged in so I do not want to shutdown

If you can take the inlet and outlet and put them in a bucket you can add vinegar to the system for 15-30 minutes then flush with water and back to the normal water supply

will vinier clean out channels in cpu blocks ? system is running at 58 C. ruff 140 F. checked blocks on cpu's there solid green in the channels still have good flow but I think its just running over channels rather then through them

Hate to say this, but your best bet is to take the time to shut down the system and clean everything by hand and scrub it clean and replace tubing and what not. It's THE best way to remove the oxidization from the loop.

Then when you fill the loop again, use some coolants that will help prevent corrosion and close the loop.

Oxygen is what makes corrosion happen. The less oxygen in the loop the better.

Hate to say this, but your best bet is to take the time to shut down the system and clean everything by hand and scrub it clean and replace tubing and what not. It's THE best way to remove the oxidization from the loop.

Then when you fill the loop again, use some coolants that will help prevent corrosion and close the loop.

Oxygen is what makes corrosion happen. The less oxygen in the loop the better.

Don't hate to say that Shrimpbrime. That is truly the best way to clean it up. If the clients can't access a system because of an unexpected shutdown (due to poor maintenance) there will be more grief than if you go ahead and schedule a maintenance shutdown. You'll get a lot more respect as well.

will vinier clean out channels in cpu blocks ? system is running at 58 C. ruff 140 F. checked blocks on cpu's there solid green in the channels still have good flow but I think its just running over channels rather then through them

if it's that bad then a scheduled shut down is the best bet.

Or at least clone it, so you can shut down and clean while the stand-in runs things....the best way to have a mission critical server anyway..

2 week vacation led to problem. they found growth in cooling lines and put hydrogen peroxide into system

did a live flush with strait vinager it got enough out to get temps down till non peak time so could handle a shutdown and cleaned up with muriatic acid nice and shiny now

Thanks for advice I would have never thought of using vinegar

glad it worked out, any chance you can get some pictures of the system? curious to see how it looks.

I can take some shots next time I pull it out its tucked back into rack at moment
1- 6u rack of storage 32 4t drives
3 - 4u dell r910 rack mounts running gaming servers and private space
2 - 2u dell r720 running in house network and private server space for webpages

original problem was heat in server room someone joked about water cooling it and I ran with it entire system is water cooled the 4u servers are on there own loop its running on a 1/2 horse utility pump with a 12m head feeding a Rad made out of an actual radiator that's fitting into A/c system on roof .. reason for high pump pressure.
the same is for the 2u servers both systems have a 5 gallon cap.

whoever decided to put peroxide into my system is going to get beat with a bat when I find them someone also mentioned bleach may have been put into tanks while I was gone "I hate stupid people"

The bleach isn't too bad, I used to use small amounts (5 drops per gallon) in my evap cooler (search bong for water cooling), and was only a problem when I had 1 galvanized fitting in my loop. White crystals grew in the fitting until it's diameter closed...
The hydrogen peroxide, when fed through a heat source (aka water block) degrades to water and oxygen, actually feeding the green stuff!!

Glad you're back on line :thup:

Back