• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning Quad core – isopropyl alcohol?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craige

Registered
Well, I just got my new intel quad core and my brother had imprinted the front(face side) with fingerprints and hand dirt !

So how shall I clean it ?
First cleaning with, acetone and then with isopropyl alcohol…. Is it the best method?

For wiping the ISP & acetone – cotton or ear-buds are good ?

Also, in future if I would like to remove old thermal grease, the above procedure will work great ?

70% or greater isopropyl is fine for cleaning. I usually just use a paper towel.

You can skip the acetone unless your cleaning the grease off of video card RAM sinks.

For thermal grease I like to wipe the bulk of it up w/ a paper towel, and then use something lint-free like coffee filters w/ some 90+% isopropyl on them to clean it up good.

I did some labs in the clean room where I went to school, so I tend to be a bit anal about keeping everything clean and lint/dust free while I'm working in that area. I'm sure CGR's advice is sound as well. Depends on your level of OCD.

For thermal grease I like to wipe the bulk of it up w/ a paper towel, and then use something lint-free like coffee filters w/ some 90+% isopropyl on them to clean it up good.

Interesting, I'll have to try the coffee filters idea. :thup: I always try to use 99% isopropyl alcohol, usually with cotton swabs. Are alcohol-dipped cotton swabs inefficient for cleaning heatsinks, dies, and heatspreaders?

Artic Clean is good for removing gunk on vidoe card memory modules and removing TIM. But to remove fingerfints just a paper power or other towel that won't leave lints on the processor and some alcohol will do the trick.

Interesting, I'll have to try the coffee filters idea. :thup: I always try to use 99% isopropyl alcohol, usually with cotton swabs. Are alcohol-dipped cotton swabs inefficient for cleaning heatsinks, dies, and heatspreaders?

Cotton works OK, and I use Q-tips alot. Sometimes there are fine cotton hairs that get left behind, though, so I like to use something lint-free as the final step. I'm very anal about this actually. After the area is cleaned I wipe it again w/ a clean lint-free cloth soaked in isopropyl, fold the towel, and then place it over the CPU...do the same w/ the HS. Once I'm ready, I remove the cloth over the CPU, wait a second for it to dry, and put a dab of TIM on the CPU. Remove the cloth from the HS, wait for it to dry, and then mount. I do this rather quickly so that dust won't have any time to settle on the surfaces. OCD at its finest!

I actually use Kimwipes (get them free from work). These are used to clean the ends of fiber-optic cables after termination. Coffee filters should be comparable, though, and more easily attainable.

Any lint can be blown off easily enough... and even IF there was small particles, it wont affect performance.

Back