• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning time!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

As I swap hardware, I like to take this time to clean the PC as well. Unfortunately, they don't seem to sell vacuum cleaners that can blow air out as well as vacuum. :( That's fine as I prefer actually WIPING off the dust rather than just "relocating" it to the surrounding areas :clap:

I was wondering if it is good practice to use the vacuum cleaner to clean the case (including electronics) as well? I use the small attachment with the brush to dislodge the dust and get it off the components, such as the back of the GPU's PCB. I've seen a couple of YT videos doing this or using blowers or spray cans, then I've also seen/read some advice that says "NO!" to vacuum cleaners!

I normally clean the rest of the case with a damp microfiber cloth and at the rate I'm going, I'm pretty sure whatever moisture is gone by the time I power up the system.

Thoughts?

IMO, it's not the vacuum that's the problem, it's the brush, or rather, type of brush. Wrong type of brush can create static electricity. Being that most vacuum brushes are made of nylon, that's a problem.

Hmmm... got some synthetic brushes like the ones used for painting miniatures. This brush placed near the intake of the vacuum hose? Would that be better? It'll be gentler than the normal vacuum brushes as well, and easier to get into the nooks and crannies.

Sure. I use something similar. I have yet to kill anything with a vacuum and brush like that and I've been doing it for near 2 decades.

Compressed air is much easier than vacuuming and more effective.
Subjective. It takes less time sure, but just displaces the dust to another part of your dwelling where you would have to clean it up anyway. Some people are more OCD about where their dirt goes. Things like allergies come into play too. :)

Subjective. It takes less time sure, but just displaces the dust to another part of your dwelling where you would have to clean it up anyway. Some people are more OCD about where their dirt goes. Things like allergies come into play too. :)

Exactly this! OCD + asthma in my case, plus this time in the UK isn't exactly "outdoors" time :D

not to mention the op sa8d he doesnt like to displace dust already...that said, do it outside, where a compressor usually is, and that isnt an issue either.

One thing to worry about with compressed air is moisture in the lines... be sure to let it run and blow out any moisture before you go the air compressor route. :)

I use cans of compressed air and take the case outside on the deck. Grab a cold one and disassemble and clean. Re-install and enjoy. All the dust blows away to my neighbors yard. It's almost payback for all the times their dog "go's" in my yard.

Put a dust mask on and use compressed air. Wait for a day when it isn't raining.

Back