• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clock Watchdog Timeout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demon of Elru

Registered
I am getting this blue screen periodically and I don't know why. I am on a new brand new build i7 9800x ASRock Fatal1ity motherboard. I would normally look at the memory dumps but the problem is the PC does not reset and gets stuck at 10% when creating the dump file forcing me to hard reset manually. I am also using a Samsung EVO 970 NVMe drive. I have removed all OCing programs and the CPU and GRP are not OCed. I suppose the memory may be since I am using XMP1 profile to run it at 3200 mhz as its designed for. Why can't I get a complete memory dump why doesn't it finish and reboot the PC like it should?

What version of windows are you running? I had that error when 1st setting up my Ryzen setup. This may not be related at all but, I was installing an early version of W 10 and the Ryzen just didn't like it. Every day or so Clock Watchdog error. Once I updated to the latest version it stopped. It was also happening at any Dram setting from 2133 to 3200 Mhz.

Disable xmp and see if it still happens. If so, you may need to add some system agent or io voltage for 32gb at that speed.

Disable xmp and see if it still happens. If so, you may need to add some system agent or io voltage for 32gb at that speed.

Yeah that was going to my next move. See if this helps. Alright will keep you informed if it works. Also why does the crash dump not complete and hang on 10%?

I am getting this blue screen periodically and I don't know why. I am on a new brand new build i7 9800x ASRock Fatal1ity motherboard. I would normally look at the memory dumps but the problem is the PC does not reset and gets stuck at 10% when creating the dump file forcing me to hard reset manually. I am also using a Samsung EVO 970 NVMe drive. I have removed all OCing programs and the CPU and GRP are not OCed. I suppose the memory may be since I am using XMP1 profile to run it at 3200 mhz as its designed for. Why can't I get a complete memory dump why doesn't it finish and reboot the PC like it should?

Man this is an annoying blue screen, i had it for ages, tried every tutorial out there and nothing, then suddenly stopped, since yesterday it started again. It could be somethings like cpu, that i doubt alot, ram, drivers, 3th party anti-virus, 12V rail on your power suplly. Did you try to put your bios at default settings? Can you enter safe mode or normal boot? if so do a memetest. Press (Windows key logo + R) and type mdsched.exe then a pop up will appear saying to "restart now and check for problems" click on it, your PC will restart and start testing RAM.

I suspect something may be wrong with the CPU. Prime95 hits 96 c after about 10 minutes running then I guess it underclocks itself and temps go back down to 68 or so. Now I am running two radiators and even at 100% load i shouldn't come anywhere near 96 degrees. So I think something is wrong with the CPU itself, maybe I seated it wrong? Its worth checking. Unless this is normal?

I suspect something may be wrong with the CPU. Prime95 hits 96 c after about 10 minutes running then I guess it underclocks itself and temps go back down to 68 or so. Now I am running two radiators and even at 100% load i shouldn't come anywhere near 96 degrees. So I think something is wrong with the CPU itself, maybe I seated it wrong? Its worth checking. Unless this is normal?

Don´t use prime95 man. It stresses the cpu more then it should ( it is called power viruses), use aida 64, realbench (from asus), but yeah with those temps with watercooling you shouldn´t get to high.Yeah it throtlles to protect itself. Which case do you have? Do u have bubbles on your loop? Which thermal paste did you apllied? Which method did you use? If it was seated incorrectly i doubt it would post, but i would check it, maybe the thermal paste didn´t spread like it should. See it when you take the block off. Which pump do you have? Sorry for the delay mate.

Don´t use prime95 man. It stresses the cpu more then it should ( it is called power viruses), use aida 64, realbench (from asus), but yeah with those temps with watercooling you shouldn´t get to high.Yeah it throtlles to protect itself. Which case do you have? Do u have bubbles on your loop? Which thermal paste did you apllied? Which method did you use? If it was seated incorrectly i doubt it would post, but i would check it, maybe the thermal paste didn´t spread like it should. See it when you take the block off. Which pump do you have? Sorry for the delay mate.

My case is the Xigmatek Elysium Super Tower the loop seems air tight no air bubbles seen. I am also using Noctua thermal paste used the spread method (my preference). As for the Pump its an EK MCP-655 with EKs top. Yeah this seems very high temps for this CPU even if its under 100% load at stock settings.

EDIT: I put in for am RMA replacement/refund, I already purchased a replacement at my local Microcenter (last one!) so when I install the new CPU I will know for sure. But yeah 90+ degrees is much too high especially for a custom loop. I will try a couple things before replacement just to be thorough though but yeah I am fairly confident the CPU could have been bad. It could be the cause of the blue screens as well. In addition to clock watchdog errors I sometimes get WHEA_uncorrectable_error which is another hardware error, these blue screens along with my absurdly high temps indicates a CPU problem. At least in my eyes.

Last edited:
My case is the Xigmatek Elysium Super Tower the loop seems air tight no air bubbles seen. I am also using Noctua thermal paste used the spread method (my preference). As for the Pump its an EK MCP-655 with EKs top. Yeah this seems very high temps for this CPU even if its under 100% load at stock settings.

EDIT: I put in for am RMA replacement/refund, I already purchased a replacement at my local Microcenter (last one!) so when I install the new CPU I will know for sure. But yeah 90+ degrees is much too high especially for a custom loop. I will try a couple things before replacement just to be thorough though but yeah I am fairly confident the CPU could have been bad. It could be the cause of the blue screens as well. In addition to clock watchdog errors I sometimes get WHEA_uncorrectable_error which is another hardware error, these blue screens along with my absurdly high temps indicates a CPU problem. At least in my eyes.

It could be mate.. Your cpu IHS is concave causing poor contact and cooling? Some cpu´s have concave shape and the block don´t sit on it like it is supposed to. Did u took the block out to see if the thermal paste was well apllied? WHEA_uncorrectable_error it is related to a driver issue too mate.Try the solution below to WHEA_uncorrectable error bro. If i´m not mistaken that pump has 5 levels right?iN which level did u put it? Did u try to increase it?

WHEA_uncorrectable_error -

It could be mate.. Your cpu IHS is concave causing poor contact and cooling? Some cpu´s have concave shape and the block don´t sit on it like it is supposed to. Did u took the block out to see if the thermal paste was well apllied? WHEA_uncorrectable_error it is related to a driver issue too mate.Try the solution below to WHEA_uncorrectable error bro. If i´m not mistaken that pump has 5 levels right?iN which level did u put it? Did u try to increase it?

WHEA_uncorrectable_error -

Alright I installed the new CPU and ramn prime95 (keep it the same) for twice as long, temps never reach over 84c (which is a tad high i think) so the other CPU possible was running too hot or it was seated incorrectly not to mention it reach 96 degrees in less than half the time and probably higher if i didn't stop the test, either way the new CPU seems to run on average 10-15 degrees C cooler. Still the 84 degrees somewhat concerns me, perhaps I am doing something incorrect with my watercooling loop? As for the blue screens time will tell it could be days or even a week. Thank you for the video I'll take a look at it now.

The most recent BSOD is the most recent dump files I upload above.

Last edited:
Alright I installed the new CPU and ramn prime95 (keep it the same) for twice as long, temps never reach over 84c (which is a tad high i think) so the other CPU possible was running too hot or it was seated incorrectly not to mention it reach 96 degrees in less than half the time and probably higher if i didn't stop the test, either way the new CPU seems to run on average 10-15 degrees C cooler. Still the 84 degrees somewhat concerns me, perhaps I am doing something incorrect with my watercooling loop? As for the blue screens time will tell it could be days or even a week. Thank you for the video I'll take a look at it now.

The most recent BSOD is the most recent dump files I upload above.

Yeah i saw mini dump, ntoskrnl is related to hardware and drivers that was what i got too and the hal.dll. Meanawhile the PSHED.dll is made by microsoft. Do u have pop ups with these dll´s or directly to BSOD?

Yeah i saw mini dump, ntoskrnl is related to hardware and drivers that was what i got too and the hal.dll. Meanawhile the PSHED.dll is made by microsoft. Do u have pop ups with these dll´s or directly to BSOD?

How do you mean popups? When it blue screens it usually is random such as me typing this response for example. The PC would freeze for a moment then BSOD with either clock watchdog or whea uncorrectable errors.

How do you mean popups? When it blue screens it usually is random such as me typing this response for example. The PC would freeze for a moment then BSOD with either clock watchdog or whea uncorrectable errors.

Yeah i understand that bro, meanawhile on desktop you could experience that but yeah..I have no more ideas mate.

Back