• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cloned win10 gd put it on another drive. Win10 thinks its still on other drive..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

So my good old trusty samsung 840 had my windows on it but it was time to retire it.

I got a Samsung 950pro and cloned my 840 and stuck it on the 950, now i'm booting from the 950 just great.... but today I went to check windows updates and I get an error... the eror came from drive I: So I thought what the hell? And realized drive I was the samsung 840 drive... it's trying to load the windows update module from drive I: .... so I go change drive I to drive X... and lo and behold when i launch windows update the error comes from drive X...

So apparently windows executables are now tied to my old samsung 840 no matter what drive letter it's set to, how do i get it to launch windows stuff from my 950pro, which is drive C now?

Have you taken out the old SSD and run the update then? Sounds to me like its running off the original SSD, and not using the cloned newer copy.

nope, 100% positive its booting off the new copy... its a 950pro so it's booting like 5 times as fast, also the 950 now has drive C and is marked by windows 10 as the OS drive. I'm still able to launch windows update via the control panel but if i use the start search bar to search for windows update, those links have the old drive connected to them... if i right click the link you can see !:\blah\blah... it's bizarre and i have no idea how to fix it.

Use EasyBCD's Advanced Settings to change your boot drive and make sure your BCD is on your new hard drive.
After that you should have nuked your old 840 before starting to use it as your storage drive on the same system.

Back