• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Closed loop - serviceable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Howdy!:) I have liquid cooling installed in mine
It's made by alienware from X58 era(i7 920). It's starting to make a funny noise every once in a while. Sounds like bearing might be on its way soon. I read somewhere that this system doesn't require any service throughout its lifetime..well, obviously, but..

Anyone ever change anything in theirs? Seems to be a shame to let it all go south just because of one tiny part..

Thank you

The expected lifespan of a AIO is around 5 years estimated by the industry. They expect the market to change to such a degree in that time that most people will have upgraded their pc making their old obsolete.
A AIO like a custom loop is serviceable however is it worth it over buying a new one? obviously a custom loop is abit easier to work with then a AIO, but other then that its the same just without the reservoir. If you have a spare air cooler you might want to take some time and take it apart for a proper maintenance when you are at it:
- flush the radiator & pump (clean it and then remove all oxidation and wildlife)
- take the AIO apart and check whats wrong and if its worth replacing if possible at all (parts?)
- get a new premixed coolant and fill her up.

what exactly are you running Taco? you may be able to reuse components if they arent specific only to that aio.

what does your radiator look like? if the ports are g1/4 you could reuse that. they likely had it built by a aio manufacturer like corsair or evga etc so you may get lucky if they used g1/4 ports.

I had to clean,it up recently and I believe it's totally serviceable now that I took a look at it with "service in mind". Looks like radiator has ports that receive tubes which are likely held by tiptoe or,similar(it's heatshrinked). I'll post a few pix a little later, maybe,someone can,identify the manufacturer:)

Ps-sorry for weird puncruation, LG keyboard keeps inserting commas very often and it's a pain to keep removing them.(im on phone)

even if the pump does die the rad may be reusable. it looks like they used really thick heatshrink over the clamps. cant say what kind of barbs are used but i would hang onto the rad if you upgrade. it may come in handy. you may want to do a remount just in case your tim has dried out. theres probably no way for you to check the coolant level is there?

that pump actually looks like a laing ddc variation of some sort.
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/laing-ddc-pump-12v-ddc-1plus-mcp-355
if so it is a high quality unit and will definately work with a custom set up. even if only as a back up pump. can you see any information on the sides of the pump?

im dying to tear that thing apart and see what its actually made of component wise!

Last edited:
Great to know it's of better quality component:) thank,you for info. No,way to check coolant level unless I take it apart.:) strange noises are gone. Sounds like from day 1 after thorough cleaning,of radiator. If I can get more info from pump, I'll post it here. Btw, more pix during cleaning. I had them posted in another thread, but going to add them here(embarrasing):
I could never get to it with vacuum until I finally decided to do it when temps started to too high at idle

View attachment 194623View attachment 194624

- - - Updated - - -

Please don't laugh:chair::D

Back