• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clr compared to mayhems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ecthellion

i was wondering how well clr compares to mayhems blitz for deep cleaning radiotors, i have clr on hand is that fine to use, or would i get a better cleaning of the internals of the radiators with mayhems blitz solution. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated, thanks!!

I've never used clr but many people have over the years and it works great from what I've read. Make sure flush multiple times with clean water after to ensure getting it all out though. I used Mayhems for the first time on this build with no I'll effects so far. I will also say that I had nothing come out of my radiators so I either had the cleanest radiators I've ever had or it didn't clean anything. Either way I think you will be fine. Just make sure to pay attention to the different Mayhems because one stage is for only the radiators while the other is for the whole system.

I've always used CLR. It's readily available at any Home Depot/Lowes/Ace hardware. I like it as I know how well it cleans. I use boiling hot water to flush it all out multiple times. Then I do a final flush with distilled water. I even use it on waterblocks. I take them apart and soak the metal parts in it followed by the tap water rinse followed by the Distilled. Have not had any issues.

I think I used Primochill's cleaning solution (Prep) one time. I didn't think much of it. Never used Mayhem's cleaning stuff.

so i just finished filling both of my radiators with clr, how long should i let the radiators soak in clr? i was thinking about lettting the clr sit in the rads for about 24 hours.

I'd wait for some of the regular CLR guys to chime in but I think 24 hours would be long enough. Make sure to give it a couple good shakes to break anything loose during that time.

would there be any cleaning benifit to leaving it longer in the radiator chambers? i also noticed some corrsosion on some of the fins on the radiator, how would i deal with this, its very light and there are no leaks atm

It might break some extra stuff loose but I would drain the first round into a bucket or cup to see what comes out. If it comes out clean then I wouldn't worry about it but if it comes out with a ton of crud then I might run a second CLR through to make sure.

Do you mean there is corrosion on the outside of the radiator? It is probably just where the manufacturer missed some spots with paint but I would like to see pics to be sure. Can you post a pic of it?

It only takes a few minutes to clean your rads. I let them soak for 5 or 10 minutes. Ive found that anything longer doesnt give any better results.

it was on my old ek coolstream xe, when i got it about 4 years ago it came pretty beat up from ekwaterblocks, it was there last one left in stock so i didnt feel like waiting for a new one to get back in stock and then going through the hassle of trying to get a replacement, one of the fans arrived doa as well, it was one of there kits. it was a pretty good rad, ufornteantly it sprang a leak after a few hours of the clr being in it, i was trying to fix some of the bent fins, maybe that did it or its just too old. either way i wont go with ek ever again. prbly just gonna toss this rad

Aw thats a drag. Those are really good rads. I dont know of any real tried and true fixes for leaks either. Sadly the copper cores are so fragile applying any kind of heat to them trying to solder a leak usually just makes it worse from what i remember. Its been a really long time since ive read about anyone trying to repair one tho. Things may have changed. There may be professional car repair shops that can do it now without wrecking it? Someone else might know of another option.

ive been really wanting to try out a monsta 560 rad from alphacool, so this gives me the chance to as well, maybe ill see if i can get this one repaired and use it for a back radiator.

That is some pretty nasty stuff. I would do it again just to be sure but I'm pretty picky about that type of thing.

I use a Monsta 2x120 and the thing cools amazing. I run it in push/pull which I think for a radiator that thick is necessary. They don't fit on the top of most cases because of the thickness and the added thickness of the push/pull so be prepared for that if you do give it a go. Another downside of it is they don't resell as well as the UT60 style, probably because of the size. I've bought and sold multiple UT60s over the years but never could sell this Monsta so I just hung on to it.

Back