• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM 612, CM V6 GT, Noctua D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingp0dd

Good day!

I'm planning to OC an i5 2500k to around 4.2-4.5ghz, and I wanted a good HSF that would keep it cool and hopefully make it last longer.

Here's my setup if it matters:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
MOBO: MSI Z68A GD65 Gen 3
RAM: G-skill sniper 2x4 8gb (dual)
GPU: EVGA GTX 560 TI DS Super Clocked or HD7850
PSU: FSP Aurum 700watts
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Case
MON: Samsung 23\" (S23A300B)

I'm looking at these three HSFs:

Cooler Master (Hyper 612 PWM)
Cooler Master (V6 GT)
Noctua (NH D14)

I know the D14 will outperform the other two, but do I really need it when OCing to just 4.5ghz?

I also heard that a good case airflow is also important, should I just get a cheaper HSF and invest on case fans instead?

The case would be a Corsair 400R. I'm planning to put 2 intake fans on the front, and one exhaust fan on the back. I'm not sure if I can still fit 2 exhaust fans on the top with the D14 installed (it's quite large, yes?)

Would be great to hear opinions regarding the 3 CPU coolers

Thanks!

my daughters rig has the v6gt and it is a rather capable hsf, but is a nightmare to change the chip. prolly the worst retention mechanism I have seen.
I am sure that all 3 are great performers as the v6 should be the bottom of the pile
with a 2500k at 4.5ghz even a coolermaster hyper 212 is a capable choice

Thanks for the info! Looks like I'm going with the D14, just to make sure :D

Back