• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cm 690 ii window mod help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hope so too^^ Might look better with the leds though, as the point of a window is to see inside, and as the night comes all i can see is the sickelflow at the bottom with its weak leds xD

Here's an update:

Ok so you all know I reoriented my fans for improved airflow. Some pics of the changes lower in the post. The arrows should be self explanatory.

About the sidepanel.... I found some U-channel to put around the edge which I have not come around to apply yet. Also, the double sided tape I was using was not strong enough to hold the plexiglass so I bought some more industrial-grade tape. Tommorow, on Monday, I will have it complete :):bday:

After that, I'll look more into the lighting effects. Saw some cold cathodes aswell as some led strips that run off 12v but I first need to find out how to actually hook them up to my power supply. So tommorow I'll have the window done :)!

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 200
Lol, thanks corey666. I guess it's alright. :)

Btw Jameseboy, the cold cathodes from Lamptron you are speaking of, can you maybe give me a link of where I can possibly order them and see them?

Cheers

Thanks for the link. At first glance it seems like exactly what I'm looking for in terms of choice of lighting.

I think my mind is set on a couple of cathodes. Not sure if they will be white or blue.

Hmm, it looks good to me but the U-channel failed. This is why I sometimes don't like living in europe.... we don't have half of what America has, lol. Oh well, I guess I have to wait and see if i can purchase some U-channel online or wait till I go to the U.S. again.

Using some very strong double-sided tape which works great. I did cut the sidepanel with a jigsaw and filed it down after. Lower in this post you can see some shots of the sidepanel aswell as the results. After I buy some lighting I think it'll look great.

So finally you all can see the results and I'm glad to share it. It might not have as much character as other mods I have seen but it is my first mod which I am proud of and I definately appreciate the simplicity.

Let me know what you all think. Any tips on how to improve it or ideas to make this look better will be much appreciated:cool: Also any ideas with lighting placement or colors, leds, and whatnot are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 137
This thread is really making me tempted to get a 690... Grrr! I'm poor darnit!
Did changing the fan setup have a difference in your temps?

LOL, Just noticed the reflection of south park in the window. Don't worry, it's not that reflective in real life! Aswell as some lighting inside it'll reduce that some more, hopefully.

This thread is really making me tempted to get a 690... Grrr! I'm poor darnit!
Did changing the fan setup have a difference in your temps?

The new fan orientation definately did lower temps. However, it wasn't instantly noticable. I ran prime95 for a couple hours and as you may or may not know the max temps of the cpu generally oscillate up and down a little. E.g. from 64c-67c. I did notice that my temps didn't have much of a range and I got a couple degrees lower. I ran prime95 for about an hour after the fan change and I saw max temps at 63-65c.

Edit: These temps were at stock settings, I have to update my sig. Currently I'm running stock settings on my 860 cause I need to reseat my heatsink and apply some new thermal paste I got.

Back