• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM 690II Fan configuration + silent fan advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So are you saying that the hdd fan helps a lot? I'll try with only one exhaust at top and then see if the second one helps or not

So are you saying that the hdd fan helps a lot? I'll try with only one exhaust at top and then see if the second one helps or not

Yeah, that fan on the hard drive cage actually helps a lot for cooling the GPU/Graphics Card.

How can be installed?

There are fan mounting holes on the HDD cage, two at the level of drive slot one, and two at the level of drive slot four. You will need to temporarily remove the drive sleds from these positions to attach the fan, and you will need some fan screws and a really long screwdriver (to reach through the drive cage from the front side (and it will also be necessary to remove the case's front panel to access the screw holes)). You can install the fan with just the top two screws, but with four fan screws the fan will be more stable and less prone to vibrations. This is maybe a ten to fifteen minute process if you have all the required parts and tools to install the fan on the drive cage, so not too bad overall.

It took me a little longer because I didn't have a screwdriver long enough when I started the installation process in my case, so I had to spend a few minutes searching for one. Plus I was reinstalling the bottom portion of the drive cage at the same time to accommodate more drives, so that added more time for me.

Yeah, that fan on the hard drive cage actually helps a lot for cooling the GPU/Graphics Card.
I have mixed feeling about this kind of thing.

The object of case airflow is to flow cool air to component intakes and flow air from component out of case. Airflow is like water. A slow moving current will flow smoothly through a pond. But a fast current usually creates eddies and swirls causing the current to scatter and mix.

The problem I find hardest to overcome is to not blow more air at something trying to get it cool, but to flow just a little more cool air to it than it needs.

I know .. sounds kinda crazy. But often less works better than more.

Yes my concern is that gpu will blow hot hair in the case, but I really don't know how not to mix it with the case flow

The direct flow from vent directly in front of cooler should keep most of the GPU heat back. But only as long as the cool airflow to GPU is not higher in volume than it's exhaust area and flow GPU heated exhaust out of.

Another option is to put a piece of cardboard between GPU and CPU to keep the heated air coming off of GPU from being able to move up into CPU intake.

Back