• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comments on AMD Threadripper Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BTW, I'll be adding a 500 GB NVMe and one or two large HDs. But I assume those use very little power.
Cases have pretty much dropped slots for BLURay drives, so I'll use my other systems to write videos.

First dont expect to get that ram to its rated speed as a given over 3200mhz is a crap shoot .
Second Check reviews on that PSU ( get a evga)
third dont get 1900x on the x399 platform you can get the same thing ( for less ) with a 1700 and a b350 mb
Forth I would look @ a Fractal Meshy better cooling .

This is all just my opinion

1700 vs 1900x

Last edited:
Yea the 1900x makes zero sense. It basically has no good market segment. When the 1800x was $499 then the extra $50 maybe made the 1900x worth going to but even then not really with the drawbacks and extra costs of TR. And now that you can get 1800x's for $350 the 1900x is even more of a dog. Unless you were running 2 or 3 way SLI plus a major NVMe raid setup or something its a complete waste of money.

The 1950x is the only TR that makes any sense and even then only for pretty specialized work. If and when it comes down in price and the x399 chipset matures with some better bios it might be something special.

As for the rest of your build. Get 3200C14 memory. That PSU looks pretty good for a budget system but not a TR.

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold $90 after rebate, crazy good price.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151188

If your getting a tempered glass case, RGB ram, strix mb... then get the strix 1060. Little more but much nicer.

As suggested, a 1700 OC'd give you the same number of cores, onboard cache, and performance with much less heat for almost a cpl hundo less cpu cost and don't have to drop $400 on a mb.

So, we are suggesting the following, for example. Looks good to me. Saves about $300 for about the same performance. I watched review of 1700 vs 1900. But 1800 is not that much more than 1700.

View attachment 193777

What will you be using this system for ? Gaming ? Production work ?
If gaming what resolution ?
With the money saved you could have a 1080ti vs the TR build

Well, the $300 is gone by the time I got the NVMe and HD of course. :) Gaming. Current monitor is 2K Thunderbolt.
IDK on the 1080ti Founders. I see one for almost $1000 vs 1060 less than $300. My current 1060 is great.
Thanks for the help folks.

Your attachment didn't show so can't see what components you picked out.

Is this going to be your main do everything system? It sounds like you have other systems so is this one for a specific task?

As others are going to suggest, Coffee Lake comes out this week and will likely have quite a good performance improvement over R7's. At higher res or hz though your more GPU bound than CPU especially with a 1060. The extra cores and speed Coffee is getting though is going to likely push it past or on par with R7 in the multi-threaded app performance also. I still love my 1700, the system runs as flawless as the best Intel's systems I've had in the past which has not always been the case with my previous AMD systems. So I don't know if you just want a AMD system but this thread has completely changed goals if your not going TR.

Back