• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comments on designing my Water Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Austincd118

I've built many custom loops thus far and I just want a few comments/suggestions on my current ideas for my new loop.

System Specifications :
[SSD] Samsung 960 Evo (Raid 0) (2x)
[MOB] MSI Z370M MORTAR
[CPU] I5-8600k (5GHZ Steady)
[CAS] Thermaltake Tower 900 Black
[PSU] 750 Watt EVGA Full Modular
[GPU] PNY GTX 1070 TI
[RAM] 4GB GSkill TridentZ (3000 MHZ, CL 14) (2x)

Currently, the GPU is air and the CPU is on a Corsair H110i. I bought this huge case for more radiator space. I'm trying to decide if I want dual 3x120mm radiators or dual 4x120mm radiators. The GPU and RAM will be on one radiator and the Northbridge and CPU will be on the other. I'm trying to decide if I should combine the loops for water pressure? Or should I do secluded loops and dual pumps on both loops? Or something entirely different. I'm trying to keep this pc very cool. Quiet is no issue here, the case seals a lot of the noise.

Trying to max out the case, keep the water pressure up high, keep the CPU cool enough I can get to 5.5 or 6 GHZ, cut timing and up the speed of the RAM while keeping the GPU solid.

Any suggestions on anything feel free.
Will post screenshots when finished. (Or now if needed)

Custom liquid cooling won't get you 5.5 or 6 Ghz OCs. You would need to venture into sub ambient cooling if you're looking for that kinda performance. I think if you have a 'golden chip' CPU and steady at 5 Ghz on decent to great temps, I would advise on just keeping it at that level. Don't want to further the degradation of the chip.

As far as the loop's concerned, a quad 480mm (4x120mm) rad will be more then enough for a CPU and GPU loop. If budget isn't a concern and you have plans on adding a second GPU, I would just slap 2 quads in the back and call it a day. You will be able to run your fans at low speeds, basically set and forget as you'll surely run into diminishing returns with that much rad imo.

I would advise on not adding custom cooling for the RAM as that won't make much of a difference and only add unwanted costs and restrictions to the loop's flow.

Dress up your rig/theme as you'd like and keep those nice bends and flow going. I would also advise on searching and looking up other builds to see what they've done with such a nice big case. Seen lots of great builds out there.

I've built many custom loops thus far and I just want a few comments/suggestions on my current ideas for my new loop.

System Specifications :
[SSD] Samsung 960 Evo (Raid 0) (2x)
[MOB] MSI Z370M MORTAR
[CPU] I5-8600k (5GHZ Steady)
[CAS] Thermaltake Tower 900 Black
[PSU] 750 Watt EVGA Full Modular
[GPU] PNY GTX 1070 TI
[RAM] 4GB GSkill TridentZ (3000 MHZ, CL 14) (2x)

Currently, the GPU is air and the CPU is on a Corsair H110i. I bought this huge case for more radiator space. I'm trying to decide if I want dual 3x120mm radiators or dual 4x120mm radiators. The GPU and RAM will be on one radiator and the Northbridge and CPU will be on the other. I'm trying to decide if I should combine the loops for water pressure? Or should I do secluded loops and dual pumps on both loops? Or something entirely different. I'm trying to keep this pc very cool. Quiet is no issue here, the case seals a lot of the noise.

Trying to max out the case, keep the water pressure up high, keep the CPU cool enough I can get to 5.5 or 6 GHZ, cut timing and up the speed of the RAM while keeping the GPU solid.

Any suggestions on anything feel free.
Will post screenshots when finished. (Or now if needed)

IMO water cooling the 1070Ti is a waste of money, if it was a 1080Ti that would be a different story and as Jack said you don't need to water cool the G-Skill system memory.

Custom water cooling the CPU for maximum overclock, Yes! as the Corsair H110i IMO is a piece of junk!
I bought one out of desperation at Christmas for a family member and once I opened the box and looked it over, I couldn't get it back to the store fast enough!

That little Micro-ATX motherboard is going to get lost in that big tower but you still won't need to water cool the motherboard just supply additional airflow.

All that said if you're actually getting a 5ghz overclock now with that Corsair H110i thin core radiator, then going to the 480 radiator with at least a 40mm thick core is going to give you a much lower DeltaT, which will allow a higher than 5ghz stable overclock.

I suggest this one: http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-nexxxos-ut60-full-copper-x-flow-480mm.html#Details it's a 60mm thick radiator which actually has a copper core approximately 50mm thick with a 10fpi fin count which means you can run noise tolerable 120mm cooling fans on it. The UT-60 has shown excellent cooling results.

How far past 5ghz will ultimately depend on your manual overclocking skills, but it's safe to say that radiator is going to give you the best possibilities past 5ghz running traditional radiator water cooling.

Cooling the motherboards Northbridge is not necessary but cooling the motherboards Voltage Regulators surrounding the CPU socket is.

Even though it is becoming common for Intel to release it's CPUs throwing the responsibility towards the user to acquire the CPU cooler. With many going straight to the AIOs instead of an air cooler of some type, which is a pump/water block combo without any replaced cooling for the motherboards VRs. Thankfully some of the motherboards are being released today with built in dedicated air cooling for those VRs, but those that aren't that air flow has to be provided over that area, or you'll risk premature motherboard failure from excessive VR heat, especially from overclocking.

I was actually planning on getting this (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-ga-z270-z370-rgb-monoblock-nickel) and changing the motherboard anyhow. But it's less of a need and more of a I want to show off kinda thing, but if it helps in the slightest I'll be happy too. Watercooling the RAM was just an idea as I already had the blocks lying around. As for case fans(and airflow in the case), I have plenty.

Last edited:
Back