• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp is melting down!!! Need help/opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

So last night i finally got 1600 memory speed stable at 4ghz and i even ran prime for 7 hours w/ 0 errors. Great!

But today I recieved some high speed 3000+rpm DELTA 120mmx25mm fans. So I decided to test them out on my rad. I plugged them all into my case fan controller and turned on the computer. Everything was working just fine.

That is until I started messing w/ the fan speeds. I was looking for a good noise to cfm ratio so I kept increasing the voltage and dropping the voltage. But all of a sudden the comp BSODS. So I thought that was a little odd considering it was stable last night and it was idle here. So I thought nothing of it and decided to reboot. But then things started getting worse and worse. With each reboot windows would hang in different places until finally it started hanging in BIOS. And Finally the system no longer posts !!!

I thought it might have been due to some metal particles that fell onto the board from the fan screws causing it to short so I blew it off with air duster. I even removed the entire board and tried again. But it doesn't help.

I've also tried a different psu and the same errors problems occur. At one point in time even the power LED to the switch wasn't turning on but the system was running. I've also tried using onboard gpu as opposed to my 8800gt. Tried removing and testing each memory stick. I'm out of ideas...

WHAT DID THOSE FANS DO TO MY COMP! SDKFJLASKDFJ ><

Someone wanna help me out here?

UPDATE:
just one more thing b4 bed. it posted ok and i lowered everything to stock and i even got to play bad company 2 for about an hour. however after playing it I touched the Northbridge and noticed that it was surprisingly hot. like it burned my hand hot. This might explain why the comp is so unstable. Anyone know if something shorts do the components get super hot? i still have no clue what could be shorting the board if it is.

All i know is typically the NB is never hot. And the auto setting keeps it at 1.1v. And i've had it up to 1.4v b4 and it was barely warm. So somethings up.

Last edited:
By you messing around with the voltages you might have delivered a fluctuating current by accident which could have damaged components. My advice is that you reset your computer to stock settings and do all your oc'ing over. If that doesnt work post back

all i did was turn the fan speed dial to the max and back to low a couple times.

i tried resetting everything to stock but problems persisted.

the NB is suspiciously hot. like it burns my hand and it didn't do that b4. Even on high voltage.

any chance this is caused by static? cuz i added the fans standing on carpet.

no it is definitely not static unless you didn't ground yourself prior to adding the fans. I am going to bump this for you as I am not quite sure whats up. BUMP!!!!

Back