• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparison: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo VS Cooler Master Seidon 120V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rayraysfunhouse

So recently I won the hwbot drawing for the CM Seidon 120V and it arrived yesterday and I decided I would do my own little comparison between it and my 212 Evo just to see what kind of difference between the two. With the two being budget coolers for both air and water I wanted to see for sure how much if any difference there was.

So my tests consisted of 20 minute prime 95 blend tests on both with push/pull configurations as well as with only one fan in a push configuration. Waited 1 hour between all tests.

FX 6350 overclocked to 4.6GHZ, Ambient temperature stays around 75 F in my house

Fans used for all comparisons http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103069

My build is in my signature with components used for this comparison.

So I had started off with my 212 Evo in a push/pull configuration and my Idle temps were 30C and after 20 min on prime 95 load temps would go to 60c and they would never go above there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=212_evo-_-35-103-099-_-Product

Once I had those numbers I moved onto the single fan in a push configuration to the back of the case to the 140mm exhaust fan.

With only one fan my idle temps stayed the same at 30C but full load temps hit 64C. Didnt think one fan on it made that big of a difference.

Now that I had my numbers for the 212 EVO I moved onto the Seidon 120v aio water cooler that I got for free. Now first thing I'd like to say about this is the instructions for mounting suck. At first couldn't figure out why it would not get very good mounting pressure. At first I was getting idle temps of 50-60c and was pissing me off. The bracket of this cooler has to line up with the mounting hardware perfectly so that the bracket can slide down over the hardware while you are tightening it.

So after I finally go it mounted I moved onto the testing. First the 120V with only one fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3195&cm_re=seidon_120v-_-35-103-195-_-Product

Ok so with one fan my idle temps were pretty much the same as the other tests at 30c. So no change there. But once it got under load is where I seen slight improvements. At full load temps were at 59C which is a 5c difference between one fan on the 212 evo.

And moving onto both fans on the radiator in push/pull the idle temps were at 29c and full load was 57c.

I will post pictures at a later date seeing that I am at work so itll be a day or so.

212 EVO- 1 fan- 30/64
212 EVO- 2 fan- 30/60
120V - 1 fan- 30/59
120v - 2 fan- 29/57

So for the most part the 120V is marginally better. But with the prices more or less comes down to personal preferance between water and air in my opinion. Both have pros and cons.

212 Evo pro- no pump to worry about failing

120V pro- doesn't necessarily requires the space as the 212 evo seeing as you could mount the radiator where you exhaust fan is on your case

I'm sure there are many more but thats just the ones that pop directly into mind.

Nice comparison! Any difference in noise level? Did the fans you used ramp up more for the 212 than the 120v?

The 212 was deffinitely louder but not much of a difference really. My case has the sound dampening in it and it sits right next to my monitor. If it had been on the flood I wouldn't have heard the 120v at all.

Nice. Well great work. The only thing I would have changed is to set the fans to some manual speed to prevent the discrepancy there, though there's definitely some merit to testing them in the "normal operating configuration". :thup:

Also multiple mounts on each to take that, the biggest variable of all, out of.the equation.

Regardless, thanks for the info!

Yea this was my first comparison. At max speeds the fans would get to 2000 rpm on both and wouldn't go any higher so it seemed like they would be around same speed.

Back