• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

compu net dead (xP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

depthad

I have WinXp Pro, Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0, DI-514.

Alright i have tried:
Using Static IP
AutoFind IP
Swapping ethernet ports
Diffen't ethernet cable
Differn't Browser
full reboot of both systems, router and modem.
Disabling and re-enabling lan
i don't have a firewall enabled.

im using Wired connections for both computers. my other computer works.

Any Suggestions?

I'd go linux instead of apple... i am able to see my other computer w/ my computer. hmmm i smell a reinstall of windows... :( i just did this about 3 weeks ago :(

I am assuming you are using DHCP on the router and your computers and your have your netmask set right.

In your Network Connections can you see your NIC under "LAN and High-Speed Internet"? If you see your NIC double-click on it. Do you see any traffic?

Try graphical version of ipconfig called Wntipcfg
Wntipcfg.exe: Windows NT IPConfig Utility
http://www.microsoft.com/windows200.../wntipcfg-o.asp

See if you can see you can release and renew you IP port on your computer.

i have used ipconfig /release & renew
i have tried to specify the right dhcp also tried to specify the right subnet mask and such.
when it autoassigns my ip it completely messes the ip up and gives me something not of my router. (example: 245.164.12.96) it should be 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.254.
when i set my own address i used these settings:
IP address: 192.168.0.7
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Default gate: 192.168.0.1
preffered DNS: 192.168.0.1
Alternet DNS: 4.2.2.2

when i used those exact settings on my other computer i can connect fine. any ideas

You said you did a reboot of your modem and router. Sometimes I have found out that this is not enough. I have to power them down for a few minutes to force them to reaquire IP addresses.

I have seen a strange IP address being assigned that way when the NIC was not working right. When I replaced the bad NIC with a good one, a good IP address was obtained from the router.

i tried moving my comp so i could use ether instead of wireless and it had no effect. it pulls the MS ip address anyway. i've left the router and the modem off overnight and had no effect.

my compu doesnt even post.

Last edited:
i'll try replacing the nic even though i dont really want to waste on my precious COMPLETELY empty slots... :( be back 5-10 to tell you my results

depthad said:
i've left the router and the modem off overnight and had no effect.

one min is long enough, sound like a nic problem to me.
btw I have had more than my fair share of nic problems over the years....

i have on board nic and i am having issues with the new nic i popped in. also i had issues with the wireless usb thing. i think it is a windows issues. dont know what else i can try.

I have seen this before . Assuming you don't have a bad nic, cable, or switch port, try removing the tcpip protocal, reboot, and add tcpip again. I have seen this fix the problem. The other fix after exhausting all others, is (sigh) a windows install.

Back