• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lose connectivity randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

I looked through a bunch of threads and still haven't found a solution for my connectivity issues.
My laptop(Alienware MX14) loses connectivity randomly. Not to the network as a whole, but just the internet. There's a number of things that fix this, but only temporarily. All of the fixes are basically closing the connection entirely, then reopening it. I can either reboot the router, disable and enable my adapter or restart my machine.

After fixing this issue, it could either be 2 minutes or 2 days before it happens again. Sometimes it's while I'm downloading stuff, sometimes I'm just listening to music on Spotify and browsing the net.

Other computers in the house do not have this issue.

I've formatted my machine, replaced my router and tried both static and automatic IP. I also disabled Computer Browser in the Windows Services as per an article I read that said it was causing issues for people. I've replaced cables. I've tried Google's DNS as well. Nothing has fixed this. I'm out of ideas.

oh, also. Windows 7 64bit, hard wired, alienware m14x, Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20).

Last edited:
Does the wireless do it, as well? If so, it is likely something with the network stack in Windows. If it only happens on one device, then it is either the driver or the hardware.

When it goes down again, do a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and see where it gets stuck.

To reset the network stack:
Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

Honestly, I'm not sure. I get better speeds and ping in games when wired, so I use that. I'll switch and see what happens.

I'll also try those. Thanks man.

Bad wiring can cause flakey behavior like this too. I doubt you have one, but a cable tester and certifier would be the only way to be sure. If the distance isn't too long between you and the switch/router, consider replacing the cable (if a certifier isn't available -- they're expensive!).

I said above, I don't lose connection to the network, just internet and I replaced the cables already just to check.

But so far wireless is working.

I said above, I don't lose connection to the network, just internet and I replaced the cables already just to check.

But so far wireless is working.

I get the same issue. Happens sometimes when I'm gaming. I disconnect and reconnect and everything works ok once more. Never happened under XP though it seems to happen under Windows 7.

I miss the days when it just assumed there was a connection and used it. Windows has just got too smart for its own good. If Windows decides theres no connection under 7, then nothing can access it even though it is in fact there. Kind of retarded.

Didn't see that you tried this earlier, but perhaps check for updated NIC drivers? Did you replace your router with the exact same one (perhaps it's a firmware issue)?

Didn't see that you tried this earlier, but perhaps check for updated NIC drivers? Did you replace your router with the exact same one (perhaps it's a firmware issue)?

From what I've seen under Win 7 drivers or firmware make little difference, nor does changing the network card. Thing is, the network connection stays up, its the internet connection which Windows says isn't available and therefore nothing can touch it. Disconnect and reconnect and everything is ok. I've had this issue since day 1 once I changed to Windows 7 from XP. Happens with every computer I run Win 7 on.

It's a fault with the way Win 7 handles connections. Because it actually see's an internet connection and directs everything through to it, when Win 7 for some reason sees no connection it simply stops anything from trying to access the internet connection. The network link continues to operate and the router reports everything is ok too. It's a Win 7 fault. May exist under Vista though I don't know, I skipped that altogether.

I would still like to know the type of router the OP is using; I too have seen one-off connectivity issues, mainly with Vista though.

Back