• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer not POSTing for some reason

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enricong

Registered
I've had an athlon tbird 1.4ghz for several years.

Recently, I have been having problems.

I will go to the computer and the monitor will be in standby mode but the computer will be completely frozen. If I hit the reset key, it restarts but sometimes it does not boot. I have to pull the plug and turn it on again. Sometimes, when I press the power button to start it, nothing happens. sometimes I have to do this a few times before it starts working again.

Now, the reset button and power button have no affect at all.
If I unplug the computer and plug it in, it immediately turns on but there is no signal from the VGA.
This seems to be a hardware problem but I'm not sure what.

I am unsure what the cause of all this is.
It seems to have started happening last week after my power went out during a storm one day. My xp profile got corrupt.

athlon tbird 1.4ghz cpu
abit kg7 mb
enermax 350W ps
I forget the type of video card, its agp.
two sticks of 256mb ddr ram

I tried unplugging everything except the above and it is still the same.
I tried swapping the ram sticks and there was no difference.
I also tried clearing the bios

so I'm thinking its either the power supply, cpu, or motherboard.

This SEEMS to have started shortly after the power went out from a storm last week, but if it were a power surge or something I would think the computer wouldnt start at all.
The CPU has been running alittle warmer than usual, approx 52 degrees C
but it has been much warmer in the room in the past and I had no problems.
the computer was not running anything.
The problem seems to occour after it has been idle for a while because I only discover the problem when I come back to the computer and it looks like its in sleep mode.

it was when I first got it at 1.533 ghz
but I brought it back down to the regular speed a few years ago.

the cpu temp seems to have been slowly rising through the years. before my 1.533ghz setup would run at 48 degC, now my 1.4ghz setup runs at 53c

but anyways, it will not POST so I cant change any options.
I also tried clearing the bios.

Also, I do not notice any heat from the CPU anymore now, I dont know if this is because its not doing anything or if its broke.
but I cannot think of any way to test of my CPU is broke or if my MB is broke.
or neither or both. (without purchasing a new one)

so almost the exact same thing happened to my computer.
I come home and find my computer is off.
I push the power button and it wont post.
I try pulling out all the cards (except video) and unplugging the drives and it still wont work.
so im thinking it must be the psu, mb, or cpu.

I've got a msi k8n neo plat. with an athlon 64 3200, powered by an enermax 450w psu.

Back