• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer running slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedracer 64

My computer has recently started getting slow. Now the gauge on my cpu usage stays near 100%. Also it takes forever to load a page online. Any ideas where to look. I have run through all my antivirus programs and their not showing anything now. Had maybe 5-7 threats but their gone now. Where do I look now?

press ctrl+shift+escape and click 'processes' and then click the 'cpu' column and look at which process exactly is hogging all the cpu.

processes.JPG

Nothing goes over 5 on that. After a few minutes the computer will come down off 100%. Its just that few minutes after start up that it does it. Might be 5 minutes. Hasn't done it before recently.

Over the years I found the only way to deal with that to be partitioninging systy hard drive, installing the operating system on a relatively small partition then reimaging at least once a month. I am surprised people can use the same installation for so long without slow downs.

If you do organized imaging/reimaging your system is as fresh as new aftger a few minutes of reimaging.

Back