• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer sometimes won't shut down--OS turns off, but PSU and fans still going!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

This problem has started occurring since I have been overclocking my system. I'd say roughly 1 in 2 shutdowns results in this behavior. Windows shuts down, signal to the monitor is gone, but PSU, case fans, CPU fan are still running. When this happens, I have to hold in the power button for a couple of seconds to shut everything off. Before I started overclocking, every shut down was clean, i.e. everything shut off automatically. I don't have many options in the "Power Options Properties" menu within Control Panel, so I don't think it has anything to do with that. Also, this happened with my old crappy 400W Allied PSU and also with my new Fortron Blue Storm 500W! Anyone know what's going on?

This happened to me as well until I reinstalled XP PRO. As big of a pain as that is, I'd say put it off for as long as you can and just deal with pressing the power switch.

theMonster said:
This happened to me as well until I reinstalled XP PRO. As big of a pain as that is, I'd say put it off for as long as you can and just deal with pressing the power switch.
Good to hear. I am WAY overdue for a reinstall of Windows... I think it has been 1.5-2 years! I've been meaning to do it anyway to increase my overall system performance. I'm sure my registry is extremely fouled up and I probably have several driver conflicts.

Do yourself a favour....get Norton Ghost or an equivalent imaging software package. Buy a large second hard drive and put images from your first drive on the second. Then a clean reinstall will take 15 minutes tops with no action on your part other than starting it and watching. :D

JimmyG said:
Do yourself a favour....get Norton Ghost or an equivalent imaging software package. Buy a large second hard drive and put images from your first drive on the second. Then a clean reinstall will take 15 minutes tops with no action on your part other than starting it and watching. :D
I don't understand the process you are describing. Could you explain in a bit more detail? Is this just to eliminate the need to back up data?

This time around, I want to reformat and make 2 drive partitions: one for the OS and applications, and the other for all my documents, music, video, etc.

Norton Ghost is a drive imaging software. Its not terribly hard to use-

You boot to it (like you would boot to the xp disc) and it gives you options to make an image to another medium (hard drive, cd's, dvd's) or to restore an image to a partition or drive.

Why does it make your life easier? Well, you have alot of apps, settings, and files that you always download, install, and set when you reinstall windows. You make the image of the whole drive before everything gets fouled up (like bad registry keys, driver problems, and malware).

Whenever you have to reimage (restore the backup), it completely wipes everything out, and then restores the OS, apps, settings, and other files that you had when you made the image.

Easiest way to maintain this- Only make your image after you do a fresh reinstall. (Ensures that you're yout going to restore a broken/ nearly broken OS back on to a very broken OS). Use a seperate hard drive (or partition) to store data files that you would not want to store in your image files (such as .mp3's, etc), so that they will not get backed up when you make your images, and they won't get wiped when you restore your images.

~Bobb

dudomann said:
Norton Ghost is a drive imaging software. Its not terribly hard to use-

You boot to it (like you would boot to the xp disc) and it gives you options to make an image to another medium (hard drive, cd's, dvd's) or to restore an image to a partition or drive.

Why does it make your life easier? Well, you have alot of apps, settings, and files that you always download, install, and set when you reinstall windows. You make the image of the whole drive before everything gets fouled up (like bad registry keys, driver problems, and malware).

Whenever you have to reimage (restore the backup), it completely wipes everything out, and then restores the OS, apps, settings, and other files that you had when you made the image.

Easiest way to maintain this- Only make your image after you do a fresh reinstall. (Ensures that you're yout going to restore a broken/ nearly broken OS back on to a very broken OS). Use a seperate hard drive (or partition) to store data files that you would not want to store in your image files (such as .mp3's, etc), so that they will not get backed up when you make your images, and they won't get wiped when you restore your images.

~Bobb
I get the picture now, thanks! That's a fantastic idea! A couple additional questions for you:

1) Instead of getting a new HDD on which to store the drive image, can I use a partition of my existing 120GB HDD exclusively for storing my clean drive image (assuming I have the space)? If so, I could just make 3 partitions, say 35GB for Windows and apps, 50GB for my data files, and another 35GB for a drive image file.

2) Am I correct in assuming that this method of restoring a clean image of Windows will not work so well if I try to restore the drive image of my current system after a major hardware upgrade (mobo, CPU, memory)?

Yes you could partition your current 120GB, but be careful when restoring a backup and make sure you do Partition From --> Image and not Disk From --> Image otherwise it will wipe out your partition table! If you have a DVD-Burner, Ghost can also back up to DVDR. Obviously Hard Drive is safter, but DVDR isn't a bad idea either.

You are correct in your second question. Windows MAY NOT work correctly if you install a new major hardware component (motherboard/video card) that requires extensive driver support. CPU and Memory and Storage upgrades should sail over without a hitch.

I've been using Ghost for 2 years at least and it's saved me quite a good deal of time! It's also a good protection to make a backup before you go hardcore overclocking your RAM. In the event of hard drive corruption, you have a solid install set to be restored.

Are there any freeware programs that do this? $45 seems a little bit steep! Will Norton Ghost 2003 work with WinXP (it's only $15).

Back