• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer wants itself to suffer >.<

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackJester

Registered
Hello everyone, new guy here I just came across these forums and hope to be a part of the community for a long time to come. I had a question about my computer and this seemed like the most accurate sub-forum to post on.

I currently have a phenom 2x4 3.2 ghz (No overclocking at all) CPU and, well, it gets very hot. I use the stock heatsink though I recently bought a Hyper 212+ that should come in the mail soon.

Now, when I play games, most games, the CPU will automatically speed up to full RPM and cool it to about 60-63c depending on the game, now I realize that is hot but that's least of my concerns, I want it to run at that speed. However when I do something that brings my CPU under about 90% load like windows movie maker (When I save my gameplay commentary footage) the CPU hits an outrageous 75c. I confirm this both my SpeedFan and AMD Overdrive. Now I would think that the full RPM would kick in, which is about 5,400 some odd number, but it's sticking to about 3,500. I have the CPU fan setting on 100% in both SpeedFan and AMD overdrive. I have tried every combination of BIOS setting I could (Disabling/Enabling cool n quiet, seeting the CPU fan throttle to max/auto max fan speed setting, everything) I'm really at a loss at why the fan refuses to operate at full speed unles I'm playing a video game, which doesn't even take it under full load?

Here's some extra information if any of it might be of some use:
Windows 7 Home
MoBo:ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3
PSU: SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST70F-ES 700W

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am a newbie to the whole thing, the only experience I have is that I built the computer I currently run.

One more question, if I may =D
As I'm going to be installing my hyper 212 soon, I would like this confirmed. I read this guide http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5 and I guess the last 2 line method is the best apparently. Now does this person plop down the 2 lines and then spread it around the bottom of the heatsink or do they just install it unspread and just sort of rock it back and forth and let the friction spread it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Are you sure that the increased fan noise is from the cpu heatsink's fan and not your video card? You didn't state what video card you have, so I'm just taking a guess there. BTW, I would think your Asrock board should be able to let you turn off the PWM function to the fan on the heatsink in bios, which would let you see what max speed is for the fan on it. I'm not familiar with your board, but I have several options in the UEFI bios of my P67 Extreme6 boards for fan control, including turning fan control off.

Anyway, your processor overheating problems will be going away real soon when you install the 212+ in your system. It should also be quite a bit quieter than the stock hsf too, even with the fan running at full speed.

Are you sure that the increased fan noise is from the cpu heatsink's fan and not your video card? You didn't state what video card you have, so I'm just taking a guess there. BTW, I would think your Asrock board should be able to let you turn off the PWM function to the fan on the heatsink in bios, which would let you see what max speed is for the fan on it. I'm not familiar with your board, but I have several options in the UEFI bios of my P67 Extreme6 boards for fan control, including turning fan control off.

Anyway, your processor overheating problems will be going away real soon when you install the 212+ in your system. It should also be quite a bit quieter than the stock hsf too, even with the fan running at full speed.

I'm fairly sure because once upon a time SpeedFan would actually let me lower the speed of the CPU fan, and when I lowered it to about 70% speeed to reduce noise the CPU temp would go up. I don't know why it doesn't anymore because it's at 100% and only 3300 RPM when I've seen it max at 5,400. I have a Radeon 6850. I'm not sure what PWM is actually but I'll go into my BIOS and see if I can't find out what it means. Yeah that's what I'm hoping, thanks for the reply!

I have the Evo, along with that and a new case it lowered my load temps by ~20 C and I'm OCed...what case do you have atm?
Yeah I was considering that but it seemed slightly bigger than the + version and this one is already cutting it extremely close, I hope I don't have to remove the side panel permanently. I use a HAF 912 Mid-Tower. I measured out 7 inches from the top of the CPU so it should fit but we'll see.

It's only half a millimeter taller - negligible.. If you have 7 inches, that's great. The 212+ is about 6.25 inches tall.

My friend owns a 212+ and a HAF 912, and I can guarantee you it fits with room to spare - he even has a fan on the side.

Edit: Also, PWM is Power Management. It lets you manage how much power the fan gets to speed up/slow it down.

Same, my friend owns the 212+ and a 912..I have ~ an inch before my side panel on my 932 Advanced...and I have the stock 230mm fan on the side :D

Also, BlackJester, what fans do you have on your HAF 912? And are they intake or outtake, please clarify.

Edit: Also, PWM is Power Management. It lets you manage how much power the fan gets to speed up/slow it down.

It might be in power management, but PWM stands for "Pulse Width Modulation", which is the way certain fans can have the speed controlled electronically via a circuit board built into the fan that sends power to the fan in pulses and varies the speed of the fan while retaining the torque of the fan motor. The fan must be designed for PWM control though, unless you build your own PWM controller to control a non-PWM fan. The fans that come on stock cpu coolers are all PWM style fans nowadays and they have a 4 wire plug on them instead of the 3 wire plug on normal fans. The 4th wire is the PWM sense wire, which is what the mobo tells the fan to run at what speed. Generally in the bios, you can select certain fan profiles that tell the fan at what temperature the fan should be sped up at. On my Extreme6 boards, it's in the same place as the temp and fan speed reporting is shown at.

Same, my friend owns the 212+ and a 912..I have ~ an inch before my side panel on my 932 Advanced...and I have the stock 230mm fan on the side :D

Also, BlackJester, what fans do you have on your HAF 912? And are they intake or outtake, please clarify.
I have one intake fan at the front of the case, the one it came with. I also put 2 outtake fans at the rear and top of the case. Though I'm not sure it is that effective as my cable management leaves a lot to be desired. Which is probably the reason I'm seeing up to 63c while gaming.

All fans 120mm by the way.

It might be in power management, but PWM stands for "Pulse Width Modulation", which is the way certain fans can have the speed controlled electronically via a circuit board built into the fan that sends power to the fan in pulses and varies the speed of the fan while retaining the torque of the fan motor. The fan must be designed for PWM control though, unless you build your own PWM controller to control a non-PWM fan. The fans that come on stock cpu coolers are all PWM style fans nowadays and they have a 4 wire plug on them instead of the 3 wire plug on normal fans. The 4th wire is the PWM sense wire, which is what the mobo tells the fan to run at what speed. Generally in the bios, you can select certain fan profiles that tell the fan at what temperature the fan should be sped up at. On my Extreme6 boards, it's in the same place as the temp and fan speed reporting is shown at.

My mistake - Thank you for correcting me! :)

My CPU (same as yours) never broke 62C even under IBT stress levels at stock speeds. You sure your heatsink is on correctly?

The only options Im seeing in the BIOS that relate to the CPU fan is under H/W monitor, I get CPU fan setting which I have tried at both Automatic and full on, full on still doesnt seem to make it run at it's full speed. Target CPU temp which I have set to 45c, the lowest it can go. And target fan speed which I have tried at a few levels but have it highest right now at 9, no auto setting.

Also, under the advanced tab and under CPU conig I'm seeing the ool n quiet option which i tried both disabled and enabled and all diabling seems to do is run my CPU at a constant 50-54c haha. And CPU thermal throttle which I have tried at Auto and various other percentage setting, with 87.5 being the max.

I'm fairly sure I have it seated correctly the pressure was tight I could pick up the MoBo by the heatsink and evrything seemed properly alligned.

Back