• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer won't boot. =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tongtong

Registered
Ok, I just moved back home since the term's over. I plugged all cables back properly, and now my computer won't seem to boot. I'm not very knowledgable with hardware for the time being.
There's no "no signal" from the monitor, so I assume the connection is OK? Should there be a beep from the motherboard? Because I don't hear one. What do I check or fix to make this computer boot?

Add to that, when I go back for the weekends and come back, the computer usually doesn't boot intially. After a few restarts, the monitor will show random blocks of the boot screen, and then everything is normal again. Is something wrong with the hardware? I don't think not turning the computer on for a few days would cause such a thing.

this could be caused by lots of things, do the fans spin up when you press the power button, do you hear the hard drives spin up?
It might be worth opening it up and making sure everything is properly seated you may simply have a loose connection.

Check and make sure everything is seated tightly especially your video card and RAM, and check the power cables also.

I've had this happen to me once. I had just got done moving my computer to another location and once I got it all plugged back in, it wouldn't start. All I did was push my video card (PCI at the time) firmer in the slot and it fired right up.

I replugged video card and ram, didn't work.
I used a spare video card, didn't work.

When the computer turns on, all fans move, and I can hear the hard drive starting. (It speeds up?)

But you're not getting any signal to your monitor? If so, it may be your video card and/or monitor havingthe problem. Do you have onboard video that you can switch to?

Most of the time you still get at least 1 post beep . Plz correct me if im wrong . Anywho . take out your ram and turn it on if you dont get any beeps bad mobo .

phrkshw said:
Most of the time you still get at least 1 post beep . Plz correct me if im wrong . Anywho . take out your ram and turn it on if you dont get any beeps bad mobo .

Yeah, I think (atleast mine does) mobos will beep a certain amount of times during start up if something is really wrong. Like if there is no RAM, it'll beep quite a few times. So yeah try that out!

The mobo beeps a lot after I pulled out the ram. So the motherboard is fine?
But I can't hear any beeps at all though, when the ram is plugged back in. You mentioned about the motherboard having at least one beep?

Yes on a normal boot up your internal PC speaker (mobo) will beep once when it starts to initialize everything.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is... Do you have onboard video?

Also, what are your system specs?

Nevermind.... I found the problem to it. I complicated the problem instead of checking basic things first.
I plugged in a CRT and it works. So I guess it's my LCD monitor =/
Anyone know of warrenties? or where to buy the monitor cables. Cuz, it's probably just the cable.

LG 1710B
Bought it last year in March.

I see some stores with VGA and DVI cables. Do these work?

I'm not understanding why you want the VGA and DVI cables... Are you thinking that your monitor isn't working because of the cable?

Back