• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

concerned my power supply is heating up to much

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hansolo

Registered
iVe recenlty purchased a corsair silent gold 850 watt psu. I just installed the psu my last power supply 550 watt this was enough for my pc.

I bought the 850 as wanted silent operation. The fans dont start until the power supply reachs half its load.My load is only 550 watt pc. I am The case of my pc now is alot hotter. I am concerned as like touching a preheated oven.

Not enough exhaust fans. ;)
Exactly. I am guessing that your other PSU had an exhaust fan and that helped take some of the warm air out of your case.

Please post specifications... in fact, create a signature please listing your hardware so we all know what it is. :thup:

specifications of my pc

psu = 850corsair silent gold
gpu = graphics card nvidia geforce 8400 gs (no connection to psu)

cpu = intel core quaud cpu Q6600

motherboard = tp35d2-a7 boistar

should i include my hard disk drive and cd make

Case would be great...as well as fan location and orientation(direction they are blowing).

That system won't even pull 250w though. What are you touching that is hot like a preheated oven?

yes my othe psu had two fans. The corsiar fan blows in the oppisite directon to my last psu.
It blows down the case. I m not sure which direction i the corsair fan blows. The fan is

pointing in downward direction . I take a pic post i that helps of th inside of my pc case and the fans direction.

This the first psu ive installed. I can see from the posts above that i am doing a begginners mistake.........I am very concerned with th heat reason i posted the specs back so soon

sure i take some pics

Last edited by a moderator:
since that power supply keeps the fan off until it heats up enough, that would be my guess as to why it might be warmer to the touch then if the fan was running. my powder supply has the same feature, but i don't care about the noise (it's very quiet when on) and would rather have the extra bit of airflow.

yes my other psu had two fans. The Corsair fan blows in the opposite direction to my last psu.
It blows down the case. I'm not sure which direction the corsair fan blows. The fan is pointing in downward direction . I take a pic post if that helps of the inside of my pc case and the fans direction.

This the first psu I've installed. I can see from the posts above that i am doing a beginners mistake.........I am very concerned with the heat reason i posted the specs back so soon

Normally on all of the Corsair Power Supplies I've owned the fan pulls in air at the grill directly beneath the fan, and then exhausts it out the back of the power supply where the on/off switch is.

Can't say 100% for certain, since you didn't supply the actual model number of your power supply and "corsair silent gold 850 watt" doesn't correspond to any specific model. There are several different model lines of Corsair Power Supplies (VX, CX, TX, HX, AX, etc).

Case model would be helpful too. And pictures are nice.

theres also a burning smell beig produced. i can smell burning its bad smell like burn t plastic. I have attached my pc pics

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 819
my power supply is the rm 850 corsiar silent gold . Should i change my fans in my pc there is fan below on the heat sink of the psu/ directly below is fan on my graphics card . The main and largest fan you can see in the pic is my cpu fan.... i a concernerned with burning smell and not pleasant I am going to go to maplins tommorow as i am concerned

i am touching the the top of the case which is hot. Direclty above were the psu is. It is something to do with the psu or my set up as it started today and that exaclty whne i installed the new psu .

thats a contraption you dont see every day :)

is the PSU fan actually spinning?
Does this model come with a switch allowing you set the fan to "always on"? I'm not familiar with model and too lazy to look it up :)

But why do you have what looks like a GPU PCI-E power lead plugged into the MB?

You have no other fans in the case other than the PSU fan, the CPU fan, or the graphics card fan. There is no air flow through the case. You need some. At least an exhaust fan.

Last edited:
You have no other fans in the case other than the PSU fan, the CPU fan, or the graphics card fan. There is no air flow through the case. You need some. At least an exhaust fan.
Here Here! Get somefans for that case! And while you are waiting, clean it off!

OC'ing a Q6600 requires a lot of airflow.
cart jumped in front of the horse here. While that is true it needs adequete airflow, he is at stock speeds at the moment. Let's get that under control and then worry about overclocking. :)

my power supply is the rm 850 corsiar silent gold . Should i change my fans in my pc there is fan below on the heat sink of the psu/ directly below is fan on my graphics card . The main and largest fan you can see in the pic is my cpu fan.... i a concernerned with burning smell and not pleasant I am going to go to maplins tommorow as i am concerned

Okay, the Corsair RM850. That's a good quality power supply.

I see your problem, you don't have an exhaust fan at the rear of your case.

My first suggestion is to add an exhaust fan at the rear of your case to push the hot air out of your case, at the very least.

Do you have an intake fan at the front of the case.

Burning smell in this case I think = something is too hot, need more airflow through the case.

Ok here's what's happening. I have the same PSU in an older build that doesn't load it up also. The PSU fan is designed to run silent (fan off) until it reaches a 40% load. It will never reach that load so it will never turn on. This isn't a bad as it was designed this way. With our older top psu mounted cases the heat has no where to go but up so the case gets pretty warm. There is no internal exhaust fan for this unit either.

The smell your noticing is probably the new car smell that is normally associated with newer psu. I believe everything is fine with the unit, but if it's creating to much heat for your case you may want to exchange it for one that does exhaust.

Of course as mentioned earlier more case air flow always helps.

Attachments

• 20140725_202242.jpg
    20140725_202242.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 788
Back