• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

concerned my power supply is heating up to much

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's because the motherboard only has a 4-pin plug for the CPU. Part of it detaches.

That i am aware off, just wondering where it is plugged in at the (modular) PSU side.

And i cant make out from the picture quality if its a 6 (4+2) pin - it looks very much like the 8 (6+2/4+4) pin

As said, not familair with the corsair... Using a semi-modular Thortech myself :)
Don't know if the PCI (6pin) lead has a different plug/socket as the PCI-E (8pin) on the PSU side.

Anyways, adding a few fans to this case might help

NVM :)
fetch

Last edited:
were should i place the exhaust fan should place it at the top of the case just below the psu but pointing in the oppisite direction

the psu fans wont ever start.AS its 850 watt and only start when half its load reached. This cant be reached as mentioned my computer specs wont reach this targert....Should i trade it in for smaller wattage psu and aslo install an exhaust fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
put a fan in the bracket/spot underneath the PSU, blowing out.
Not sure of size.. is it 120 or 92mm ? It looks like a 120mm to me.
If 120mm, any 120mm will do... we'll worry about "the best fan" later, unless you have to buy a fan for it now.

Do you have fans at the front of the case, taking air in?
If so, can you make out their brand/model?

Oh, what about your sidepanel/door? Is it just panel? Does it have a window? Or fan holes?

wellldone RJARRRPCGP the cpu is only 4 pin reason for the detachment as the plug was an 8 pin 4 + 4 . i am exchanching this power supply today for a less wattage psu. Probaly around 600 - 700 watt samemake and model . i dont want over clock my machine as use it for graphics and 3d studio max .I am a graphic designer

Is this correct. I need to complete the following
im not a gamer . i just wanted a pc to run in silent operation as i am working . I will need to place a fan on the back of the pc then facing the powersupply to blow the air oveer the psu .

DI need buy a new case. what type of case do i buy

You do not want your case fan blowing over the psu. You want the front/sides to be intake and top/rear to be exhaust.

I'd get a modern case, yes.

New case fans are cheaper than a new psu.

theres also a burning smell beig produced. i can smell burning its bad smell like burn t plastic. I have attached my pc pics

adding a fan on the rear of your case may help exhausting hot air.

by what I see, your psu work as a solo exhaust for your system

It cost £109 Rs Rollin. i dont think its a cheap psu as my last psu cos £15 and didnt over heat and ran silently for the price about a year . the fans becamer progressively louder.

Rs roolin ive attached the pic of the connection for the cpu. This could be the wrong connection but i used the third slot. As the cpu pin was 8 pin with 4 pins removed to fit my mother board.

The cpu connection to the psu = 8 pin 4+4
the motherboard connection is = 24 pin connection

Attachments

• CPU CONNECTION.jpg
    CPU CONNECTION.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 104
what should i do invain .As are alot of replys and some are reffeing to pc case. Should i take the wattage down on the psu by exchanging the psu to a lower wattage.Maybe a 600 watt psu

Then should i change the case and install a fan.

I have no fans a fan for the graphics card and a fan for the cpu with the heat sink .

AS mentioned above my last psu had two fans one on the back . I post a pic of my last psu .

Not sure how many times we can repeat it... You need case fans or a new case.

^^^this

Get a pair of these : http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata..._info&cPath=36_1130_49_1050&products_id=34190

They are strong enough to overcome filter restrictions, displace enough air and silent enough to not bother you too much and tehy dont break the bank.
If money is not an issue, then get a pair of these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata..._info&cPath=36_1130_49_1045&products_id=35708

One will need to be mounted in that spot/bracket at the back of the case underneath the PSU. The other will need to be mounted at the front/bottom somewhere... we'll talk you through it.

what should i do invain .As are alot of replys and some are reffeing to pc case. Should i take the wattage down on the psu by exchanging the psu to a lower wattage.Maybe a 600 watt psu

Then should i change the case and install a fan.

no, don't change the PSU to a lower wattage. never!

yes, I'm agree with the other.
you should improve the overall airflow inside your case.
simply add more fans.

I don't see your system had any fan on the rear (underneath the psu).
how bout with the intake, do you install any fan?

adding more fans is the cheapest solution.
upgrading your case even better, look for a bottom mount psu is something you want for better cooling performance.

A stock Q6600 is slow for today's standards now and an 8400 GS is pathetic.

Unless you're running 3dsMax 8, it's gonna be on the slow side.
I also honestly think I got better rendering speed with 3dsMax when I upgraded to a GeForce GT 640 on June 16. ;)

Even the 9500 GT is poor. And a 9500 GT would decimate an 8400 GS.

(I wished I gotten a GeForce 9600 GT during that time.)

Last edited:
ive changed the psu to corsiar cx750m and will later update my case so the powersupply fits on the bottom of the case. I can see from the comments above my case being an old stlye case is fitting the psu incorrectly regarding the heat ...i will report back if i need some idea on the good fan placement .I will have to update my pc case first.

ive changed the psu to corsiar cx750m and will later update my case so the powersupply fits on the bottom of the case. I can see from the comments above my case being an old stlye case is fitting the psu incorrectly regarding the heat ...i will report back if i need some idea on the good fan placement .I will have to update my pc case first.
You need airflow in the case, not another power supply.

yes ive swopped my power supply as didnt need 850 watt of power. This psu one is not heating the case is not getting hot . I understand it wasnot the powersupply butineed a new case. i am now looking graphic card with quite operation for 3ds max but thats fo r another forum

yes lol cheers earth dog i think i stick to cxm 750 as it quite an d not over heating at at the moment .

On your earlier posts, I believe you stated that the 850 was blowing down and onto the CPU. Since hot air wants to go up, it was just cycling the hot air up at the top of the case. This was obviously a bad thing. I'm going to guess that your 750 watt pulls air up and out. Thus the lower heat. The actual temps of both of these power supplies would be nominal. They are both quality units. As such, the major difference would have been the direction of air flow.

I have a full tower case I packed it with lots of fans all spinning slow and silent. I have 2 x 140mm up front AND down low. These pull cool air in. I have a 200mm fan at the top of the case pushing hot air out. I also have another 140mm pushing air out. When thinking of cooling, you want to consider the natural movement of the air. Warm air moves up and cool air is down low. Push/pull air in the same direct. Usually pull in from the front and push out to the back.

With your current case, a fan that fits your dusty slot should do wonders for you.

Back