• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

concerned my power supply is heating up to much

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On your earlier posts, I believe you stated that the 850 was blowing down and onto the CPU. Since hot air wants to go up, it was just cycling the hot air up at the top of the case. This was obviously a bad thing. I'm going to guess that your 750 watt pulls air up and out. Thus the lower heat. The actual temps of both of these power supplies would be nominal. They are both quality units. As such, the major difference would have been the direction of air flow.

I have a full tower case I packed it with lots of fans all spinning slow and silent. I have 2 x 140mm up front AND down low. These pull cool air in. I have a 200mm fan at the top of the case pushing hot air out. I also have another 140mm pushing air out. When thinking of cooling, you want to consider the natural movement of the air. Warm air moves up and cool air is down low. Push/pull air in the same direct. Usually pull in from the front and push out to the back.

With your current case, a fan that fits your dusty slot should do wonders for you.

And as soon as you install fans the whole "hot air rises" statement becomes obsolete

Ive never seen a PSU exhaust through the large fan and INTO case...

not since the late '80's, no

Last edited by a moderator:
And as soon as you install fans the whole "hot air rises" statement becomes obsolete

I respect what you're saying but I disagree. To be clear I'm arguing semantics here. You can set fans to blow against the natural rise but that would be brute force fighting against the natural movement and is thus less efficient.

The Simpsons made a toilet swirl the "wrong" way in Australia but it took a lot of machinery to do that. :)

I dont believe that would physically fit in the first place... not to mention two 6 pins = 12 and the whole 24 pin is populated. Even if it is two 8 pins that is 16 and /= 24.

I dont believe that would physically fit in the first place... not to mention two 6 pins = 12 and the whole 24 pin is populated. Even if it is two 8 pins that is 16 and /= 24.

yea i couldnt make it out from the image. also, would help if i read the entire thread before posting. looks like i got up to post#12 and thought that was the end of the thread.:facepalm:

I respect what you're saying but I disagree. To be clear I'm arguing semantics here. You can set fans to blow against the natural rise but that would be brute force fighting against the natural movement and is thus less efficient.

if we take it out of semantics... how much heat/wattage is required to create a discernible "rising upflow" in what is basically 2-3 cubic feet of air? And how much displacement is there ... expressed in force or G or "lift" or MPH or Newtonmeters ? How much "force" is present? How much "fight" can it put up against approx 30 Cubic Feet of air being displaced per Minute? The required megajoules ( & volume) are just not there.. it ain't a hot-air balloon.
30 CFM is your average airflow through your average PC case.

While it is indeed less efficient, the natural convection force in such a small space with such low power can be compared to the power a pebble thrown into the ocean has on stopping a wave from rolling in.

Natural "updraft" convection is only important in fanless , passive systems.

The Simpsons made a toilet swirl the "wrong" way in Australia but it took a lot of machinery to do that. :)

It required the presence of witches in the X-files.... :)

Ive never seen a PSU exhaust through the large fan and INTO case...

Looks like that was common on some OEM systems, at least during the socket 370 period. (The PSU fan takes air from the exterior and blows on to the heatsink.)

Reminds me that I need to slap someone silly for commercials that feature a tornado that looks like it was in Australia, LOL.
(Tornadoes in the US are counter-clockwise, bone head!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I didn't think the 1980s and crap PSUs that come in most OEMs were a consideration here. :p :rofl:

Sorry, I didn't think the 1980s and crap PSUs that come in most OEMs were a consideration here. :p :rofl:

Yeah well.. i've got Alison Moyet - "Weak in the presence of beauty" playing in my head for two days now... probably the punishment for riding an elevator in a shopping center. :rain:

the '80 - the decade that you just can't escape :escape:

i wish i were on an expedition on Mars or something during that era... far far away from it.
But on a positive note: at least i didn't have a mullet ;)

Back