• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

connecting cpu fan to chassis fan connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loginuser

Hi!
I have noctua nh-D14 with Asus p8z77-v motherboard.
Noctua fan connector has only 3 pin and doesn't support pwm. And the motherboard cpu fan only support pwm and I can't change the cpu fan speed by changing the voltage.

So can I just plugin the noctua NH-D14 to a chassis fan plugin, so that I can control it using asus software ?

then the motherboard will throw an error that the cpu fan is not connected, since I pluged the Noctua as if it was a chassis fan. what should I do, is it ok to disable the cpu fan from the bios or what ?

hang on im just a little confuesed as to what your doing
are you attempting to plug a case fan into the 4pin cpu fan header? or the other way around

I would disable the CPU fan speed monitoring in the BIOS so you wont get the "No CPU Fan" error message when it reads 0 RPM. Then, just plug the fan into whatever header you want.

i dont know if disabling it just disables the warning or disables the connector entirely, try it and let me know?

I plugged my C14 fans into the cpu and cpu opt
They are 3 wire and sockets are 4 wire but you can only connect it one way
The fans are quiet even at full speed and they come with inline filters to slow them down if needed
I get no errors hooked up like this

Back