• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering trying to mine....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Strange. Personally I would still try molex to PCIe adapters instead of using the CPU cable. I know it's all 12v and same rail, but I dunno at this point it seems worth a try.

why? molex has but 1 12v line. the CPU connector has 4. a PCIe connector only needs 3. using molex connectors would be so much clutter and I'd worry about power supply with something like that.

and the CPU connector is rated to provide 235+W of power.

plus like i said, this PSU supplies a single 12V rail. all 12V power comes from the same source. it doesnt matter what physical wire you're using. 12V is 12V.

Last edited:
Whatever man, you're the one with a GPU not working, it seems worth 5-10 minutes to try it to me.

With that said, have you tested this 8th GPU seperately to make sure it's not DOA or having issues?

Also, just thought of something else. I know with some boards I've had that using something like the M.2 drive disables some PCIe ports. Just wondering if you have anything like that going on. Not necessarily M.2 but something else plugged in that disables ports.

I’m almost positive I’ve tested the card, but it’s worth another look because I’ve tested a ton of different configs and I truly don’t remember.

As for the m.2 and disabling of pci devices and whatnot. This board doesn’t have any m.2 devices or even ports. And there’s nothing in the manual to suggest anything like that. All the ports work and I’ve tested that and I can use all 6 slots concurrently no problem. I only hit the problem with 8 devices are plugged in. 7 in any config works.

The only peripheral (besides the GPUs) is my single SATA SSD.

I’m almost positive I’ve tested the card, but it’s worth another look because I’ve tested a ton of different configs and I truly don’t remember.

As for the m.2 and disabling of pci devices and whatnot. This board doesn’t have any m.2 devices or even ports. And there’s nothing in the manual to suggest anything like that. All the ports work and I’ve tested that and I can use all 6 slots concurrently no problem. I only hit the problem with 8 devices are plugged in. 7 in any config works.

The only peripheral (besides the GPUs) is my single SATA SSD.

OK another question. I do recall you using some kind of PCIe splitter. I know you have to be anyway because there's only 6 pcie ports on that motherboard. How many PCIe ports are there on that splitter? If there's like 3, have you tried running all 3 on that splitter leaving a vacant PCIe port on the motherboard? Just another thought, Might be worth a try if you haven't.

yeah i've tried all the combinations with the splitter.

on the microatx board i ran (gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A) before i had 7 cards across 2 splitters in only 2 pcie slots and it worked fine.
this board (AsRock H97 Anniversary) I've tried 1 splitter with 4 cards + 3 PCIe, 1 splitter with 3 cards and 4 PCIe and both worked fine, but once i add that 8th card anywhere it just wont POST, never even makes it to get close to any kind of OS issue.

Just some thoughts. Is it possible you are overloading the electrical draw though the PCI slots? If I remember right, each one will supply 75 watts to the cards.

Also, are you sure the OS will support 8 cards? I remember Windows 7 nominally would only support 4. I was able to work around that and get 6 running, but I never could get the 7th. I think Windows 10 is supposed to be able to support 8, but I'm not sure on that.

Just some thoughts.

Just some thoughts. Is it possible you are overloading the electrical draw though the PCI slots? If I remember right, each one will supply 75 watts to the cards.

Also, are you sure the OS will support 8 cards? I remember Windows 7 nominally would only support 4. I was able to work around that and get 6 running, but I never could get the 7th. I think Windows 10 is supposed to be able to support 8, but I'm not sure on that.

Just some thoughts.

I’m running powered risers. Board is not supplying any power via the PCIe slots. The risers are getting power from the PSU directly.

Windows 10 supports 8 GPUs (but slightly irrelevant at this stage since the system won’t even post with 8 connected)

Confirmed new card works. I even unplugged one of the 570s and have a 570 and the new 580 both powered by the CPU-PCIe splitter. Works perfectly well.

Edit: and again. Tested running both 580s at the same time from the CPU plug. All good.

Last edited:
Can someone answer a quick question. Which is better bang for the buck, a gtx 1080 for $550 or a 1080 Ti for $900

Can someone answer a quick question. Which is better bang for the buck, a gtx 1080 for $550 or a 1080 Ti for $900

a 1070 for 500 :D
the 1080 is not a good miner, its generally not worth buying

1080ti is the most efficient card you can get, but its a huge investment and its not that super at mining really for that kind of cash

get a 1070 or a 1070ti or a 1060 even, at least ud invest less and have a lower power draw

Depends on the algorithm.

My 1080 is 2x as fast as my 1060s at mining Equihash. If you’re talking about ETH, then yes the 1080 isn’t great. Performs about the same as a 1060, and worse than a 1070.

Based on the output people have stated, I was pretty impressed with a 1080. I have a 1070 and it gets about 475 sol/s with equihash, others have stated over 600 for a 1080. Thats a huge jump, and certainly worth $50 more I would think. The question is, is the the 1080 TI worth it. I'm going to sell two of my 1060's and replace them with one or the other, I just wanted to know if the Ti was worth it over a regular 1080.

My 1060 3gb's get about 300 sol/s. Anyone with a Ti want to chime in what they get?

Depends on the algorithm.

My 1080 is 2x as fast as my 1060s at mining Equihash. If you’re talking about ETH, then yes the 1080 isn’t great. Performs about the same as a 1060, and worse than a 1070.

true that, forgot about zec, i tend to stick to cards that can do all because you never know where the wind will blow in crypto and the 1080s issues with ram settings is what keeps me away from it

Based on the output people have stated, I was pretty impressed with a 1080. I have a 1070 and it gets about 475 sol/s with equihash, others have stated over 600 for a 1080. Thats a huge jump, and certainly worth $50 more I would think. The question is, is the the 1080 TI worth it. I'm going to sell two of my 1060's and replace them with one or the other, I just wanted to know if the Ti was worth it over a regular 1080.

My 1060 3gb's get about 300 sol/s. Anyone with a Ti want to chime in what they get?

me personally, id get the 1080ti and be happy that it can anything and most efficiently .. but its a lot of money, so you need to think on this yourself, also if you'll be happy just mining zec for now and eventually going away from mining to gaming/folding ?
calculate the investment over a period of 3-5 months as well, see how it plays out, crypto may go up, but it may crash once again and it may not be so much fun mining anymore, in that case what would you rather be stuck with ? a 1080 or a 1080ti ?

If I sell two of my 1060's I'll have enough for the 1080 Ti, but if I just buy a 1080 I'll only have to sell one 1060.

I really don't think there's much difference of what I'm stuck with. I would guess maybe that the Ti would hold its value a little better, but it's hard to say. But I suppose, the Ti be better at all coins would be the smarter investment. Ti it is I suppose.

If I sell two of my 1060's I'll have enough for the 1080 Ti, but if I just buy a 1080 I'll only have to sell one 1060.

I really don't think there's much difference of what I'm stuck with. I would guess maybe that the Ti would hold its value a little better, but it's hard to say. But I suppose, the Ti be better at all coins would be the smarter investment. Ti it is I suppose.

what are you mining in general ? because if its zec .. then the answer is clear, you dont get a huge advantage with the 1080ti and the price is far higher, also replacing two cards with one is just too painful

I use nicehash, which mostly mines equihash algo which I assume is ZEC. I would think the 1080 Ti has nearly triple the output of a 1060, so replacing 2 cards isn't that painful.

Mining Zec (equihash)
1080ti @ 80% TDP - 1850-1900 core / 6000 Mem = 750 sols
1060 @ 80% TDP - 1875-1925 core / 4200 Mem = 315-330 sols

Mining Eth my 1060s have crap Mem so only ab OK it 19.2MH give or take a little - don't remember exact settings
My 1080ti gets around 38MH or so. Might be able to do more now that I know how to tweak it. My R9 290 does close to 28-29MH as an example.

Back