• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Consistent Hard Drive Access When Not Idle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
600MB of free RAM really isn't much. The hard drive is most likely constantly 'loading' because you are using your page file (hard drive space used when you run out of RAM) very heavily. You can try disabling startup items going to Start -> Run -> type 'msconfig' - go to the Start-up tab - uncheck anything you don't need to run at startup (i.e. google notifier, adobe reader, etc). This should help w/ RAM consumption.

If that doesn't work, I would get 2x1GB of RAM to put in the system. Every screen shot you have posted shows your page file being heavily used; that will slow your system down substantially. Since the sector relocation count hasn't gone up on your drive, I'd recommend not replacing your hard drive at this time.

I heard about Seagate Momentum XT with 4GB of SSD memory. They are fast but have problems. Thought about replacing my hard drive with it.

I think same as i am doing this time - anything except gaming. As new software comes out and exisiting software updates, all this makes use of bigger resources.

i could buy 2GB of RAM and leave it with another 512MB module, but i won't get dual-channel that way. Or worse, i could buy 2GB and my laptop won't recognize them. Then i will have to buy another 2GB but 1GB on each module.

You would have to look up how much RAM your laptop board can support; it shouldn't have any problems supporting 2GB and may support up to 4GB. Do you know if your laptop even supports dual channel RAM? I really think that you just need to get the 2 x 1GB of RAM for now and see how that treats you.

My laptop supports dual-channel 100%. Official information says up to 2GB can be supported. However people reported of successfully installing 4GB and manufacturer said that most of models such as mine can support up to 4GB. It is a gamble for me.

Just all the hassle of doing this only for 1GB additional makes me feel unsure. It would make more sense to go after 4GB but it is a gamble.

If you are comfortable taking the chance to go 2x2 GB, that's up to you. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work, or it doesn't register all the RAM.

The 901 MB is the RAM usage! Not the pagefile, despite Microsoft labels it "PF"
(If I was in charge of Microsoft, someone would have been fired!)

(This is true, even with Vista! Even Vista don't use as much pagefile as I originally thought!)

The page file is 'virtual RAM' as it uses hard drive space when it runs out of physical RAM to use, hence why they combined the two together.

If you are comfortable taking the chance to go 2x2 GB, that's up to you. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work, or it doesn't register all the RAM.

Not only that - what will i do with modules? Nobody will want to buy them.

FINAL UPDATE!

Yea! It did!

I bought 2GB of Kingston RAM, took away old 512MB Samsung module and left 512MB PQI module with new Kingston module and it worked! Samsung was the module which came originally with my laptop but i took it out because of the last different timing which is probably not that important, but i just wanted maximum compatibility. Now my laptop is smooth again! I guess i was a little sceptical and stubborn to do this earlier.

Thank you guys!

One question remains however:

How can 2 modules with different capacities work in dual-channel mode? Maybe 2GB module works with itself in dual-channel but only with 512MB of capacity and the rest is single channel?

Back