• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Control 6 fans on one channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Encore2097

I plan to use a triple rad in push/pull config with 6 fans... therefore I'm thinking about building a custom fan controller/rheobus analogous to the Sunbeam Rheobus except only with one knob.... I am working on obtaining 6 Sanyo Denki 120mm fans (part no. 109R1212H1011) (If you know of any dont hesistate to reply :)) So basically there 12v @ 0.52 A * 6 = ~ 40 watts . So this controller is going to need to handle that much and go from 0 - 12 V... Any body know any instructions or guides to go about making one or any ideas?

Couldnt you just daisychain/put the fans in series? Or would that also require the channel to get a boost in power to handle all fans at 12v?

Fans in a series would lead to a voltage drop, they would have to be in parallel. And yea the highest fan controller sunbeam only runs 20W per channel, so it would blow. 6 of these fans would put out 38 watts. i think i figurerd out how to do it and this will most likely be included in my next build.

*bump for a little help*

im thining of running two 3A positive linear voltage regulators, connected to a potentiometer/rheostat. Im unsure of the necessary resistors / potentiometer ohm-age. Since 6 fans will draw 3.12 Amps, ~3 ohm will effectively take it to 0V. How does the sunbeam rheobus do it? If I could find a schematic I could adapt that for my needs...

im in sort of the same boat with my wcing pump, its requires too much current for the sunbeam controller and high wattage pots are hard to find so i was considering using a multiple position switch with different resistors for the paths to switch between say 5v 8v and 12v.

Found a better solution: $5 car Dimmer switch, 12V 50watts... real cheap =) can mod front knob to look nice

EDIT: not really a do it yourself but it works nicely

Back