• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Controlled RPM Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madengineer

Hello everybody, i'm looking for a case fan that i can manually control the speed of, externally. meaning a dial :D

Also, was wondering about how you would go about placing a larger fan 120mm+ in my case. It doesnt actually have a place for it case is a CM 430 Elite.

If your motherboard does not have the ability to control the speed of the fan, you will need to get a fan controller. That should satisfy the "external dial" requirement. What fans do you have, how much do you have to spend and what country are you in?

The only way you will get a bigger fan is if you modify the case. Considering 120mm is near the limit on what that can hold, I doubt you could even get a 140mm fan in. I would suggest, instead, removing the grills where the fans bolt to the case. Those reduce airflow substantially.

The Sunbeam Rheobus/Rheobus Extreme's are generally the go-to recommended controller around here, due to their low price and high-wattage per channel. The LED's are pretty bright so I usually paint the LED's on mine with auto touchup paint although you can also solder in-line resistors.

Thideras mentioned cutting out the grills. You can get converter ducts for larger fans, but removing any restrictive grills will make the most overall impact.

Last edited:
Good quality fans can be had cheap. Look at Yate Loon fans at Sidewinders. Great case fans.

Agreed for a cheap controller the one mentioned can't be beat. I used one for years. Look at Sidewinders or Jabtech for it.

If your case has 92mm or 80mm holes you should consider upgreading. High powered modern stuff needs air flow, just like a car.

Cutting out restrictive grates, putting better fans is nothing but a stopgap till you get better cooling.

Spending hours or work and $30 on fan and a controller vs a new case.......... Hmmm..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

Spending hours or work and $30 on fan and a controller vs a new case.......... Hmmm..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

I'd agree with you here, but he's already using a CM Elite case with a ton of 120mm fan mounts, so he's better off just getting some 120mm case fans like Slipstreams or Yate Loons or whatever and putting them on a controller. I think he's trying to put in something like a 140mm-250mm fan, which is arguably kinda unnecessary given that the case provides 120mm mounts all over.

Xoxeh.jpg

Back