• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Controlling the Ultra Kaze 3000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yanos

Registered
Hey, quick question about controlling some fans:

I have a Corsair H60 with a push/pull setup of two Ultra Kaze 3000's, with a shroud inbetween the push fan & the radiator.

What I had wanted to do was have it setup as such: Get both kaze's down to about 1500 rpms at idle to reduce some noise but still have a powerful push/pull setup capable of going to the full 3000rpms at full load should temperatures get a little hairy.

So I have the 'pull' Kaze plugged into the 'rear chassis fan' header, which is great as I can bring that one down to as low as 15% of speed or up to full whenever i wish. The problem is the 'push' kaze - it's plugged into the CPU fan header, and it's stuck at 2900 RPMs despite my best efforts to change it.

I'd like to hear any suggestions for trying to get my desired fan setup. The H60's pump is plugged directly into the PSU, I am not allowing the motherboard to control this one. Would it be OK if i plugged the 'push' kaze into the 'front chassis fan' header? Intel's tech. specs say not to do this for this reason:

The processor fan must be connected to the processor fan header, not to a chassis fan
header. Connecting the processor fan to a chassis fan header may result in onboard
component damage that will halt fan operation.

So when I see something like this I get a little nervous, so I wanted to throw it out to you guys. Any input would be apreciated, thanks!

No idea where that comes from. I personally have my CPU fans hooked up to a fan controller, nothing on my CPU fan header. Feel free to plug it in to whatever header will work for your purposes. Some BIOSes will give you an error on boot, just ignore it as long as the fans are moving.

No idea where that comes from. I personally have my CPU fans hooked up to a fan controller, nothing on my CPU fan header. Feel free to plug it in to whatever header will work for your purposes. Some BIOSes will give you an error on boot, just ignore it as long as the fans are moving.

That's a huge relief then, Thanks! And, I pulled that quote straight out of Intel's Technical Specification manual for my mobo. I figured it was just a generic warning but it was very vague so I couldn't help but worry.

Thanks again!

Oh, I got that, I meant I couldn't figure out their basis/reasoning for that. Which is strange, as Intel usually makes pretty accurate recommendations.

Is your mobo a voltage controlled or a PWM controlled CPU header? If PWM you can't control it. And I wouldn't put two of those fans on one mobo header, the smoke will come out.

If you got another votage controlled mobo header give it a try.

Is your mobo a voltage controlled or a PWM controlled CPU header? If PWM you can't control it. And I wouldn't put two of those fans on one mobo header, the smoke will come out.

If you got another votage controlled mobo header give it a try.

Indeed I dont think I would split two Kaze's on a single header, however I should mention that both the front and rear fan headers on this mobo are rated at 1.5amps, just over the limit for 2 kaze's @ 0.6a a piece. Given that limit though, still not recommended? But I digress :D if I should ever desire to put both onto one header, perhaps the auxilary chassis fan header which is rated at 2.0amps.

The CPU fan header is indeed a PWM controlled header, while the front and rear chassis fan headers are controlled by voltage control. I guess i was holding out hope that I could control this Kaze thru PWM, as a Microcenter associate looked me straight in the face and told me that it was a PWM fan :rolleyes: oh well.

Really? I've always seen Microcenter salesmen as brutally honest. Told me to put something back on the shelf and order it from Newegg as was cheaper. Also tried to get me to not waste money on MX-2 as "you only need that stuff for a crazy overclocked i7 or something".

:rofl:

Yes it was an interesting moment. I had figured a while ago that the Kaze's I have were not a PWM fan, and at the time had thought it was just a bit too noisy for my tastes and my temp's just didn't seem to get much better with stress tests, plus I couldn't control the single Kaze I had at the time, so I figured I could go to microcenter and pick up another fan that was a PWM fan instead so I could atleast control the fan towards the load a bit better plus quieting things up a bit. When I asked this associate at microcenter which ones on the wall were the 4-pin PWM fans that would match my mobo header, he then proceeded to tell me that all of these fans (he waved at a certain portion of the wall) were PWM fans, and that the 4-pin header was just a more precise control method of PWM. I informed him of my current setup and he then told me that it was likely that I would have to build an independent controller to handle the Kaze due to it's high amp requirements. :sly:

Back