• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master CM690 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also is it worth changing out the fans that come with the case to Yate Loons or wont I gain much. I can't seem to find any info on the CFM and dB rating of the Coolermaster fans.

I say yes...The "L" series are virtually silent and the "M" series are very quiet considering the amount of air they move.

I only had the CM690 for a few days, but I did end up 7 volting the Coolermaster fans before I returned it (could not get the right side to come off)

Great case...Best bang for the buck in the case world right now.

In my humble opinion of course !!!!!!

Ill be ordering Yate Loons this week :) The fan on the side of the case in my opinion is quite loud.

Yes I had the same problem and the yate loons are loud too (not as loud though).

Its the air resistance that makes it loud, your best bet is to get a fan controller for it and turn the speed all the way down....that was the only way I got mine to be silent.

Yes I had the same problem and the yate loons are loud too (not as loud though).

Its the air resistance that makes it loud, your best bet is to get a fan controller for it and turn the speed all the way down....that was the only way I got mine to be silent.
I have the same issue, ANY fans are very loud when up against that grill. I might rip everything out tonight and start cutting the case :beer:

I placed small rubber O-rings between the fan and case when mounting and acts like a vibration dampener not as noisy

I placed small rubber O-rings between the fan and case when mounting and acts like a vibration dampener not as noisy
Well, the vibration wasn't causing the issue (atleast in my case), just the being right up against the grill (very restrictive I might add ;)).

I would have to agree...The grills on the CM690 are the weak link...I whack all the grills out of just about any case I have ever had my hands on.

And on the CM690 it is a must do...In my humble opinion of course !!!!!!

If I could have gotten the right side door off my CM690 it would look like swiss cheese.

Love the case but the grills just gotz to go.

Last edited:
Hi there,

First of all, thanks for great review thideras. I'm thinking about buying this CM, I have three questions though:

1) This might be more general... What about the PSU placed on the bottom of the case? Does it take a lot of dust through the vents?

2) Have you tried to mount the PSU upside down (sucking air out of the case)? Is it worth a try (considering any improvement in airflow)?

3) Has anyone of you tried to mount an additional intake fan (possibly 120mm) in the front 5'25 bay? This is the only point which makes me feel thorn apart between Antec 900 and RC-690...

Hi there,

First of all, thanks for great review thideras. I'm thinking about buying this CM, I have three questions though:

1) This might be more general... What about the PSU placed on the bottom of the case? Does it take a lot of dust through the vents?

2) Have you tried to mount the PSU upside down (sucking air out of the case)? Is it worth a try (considering any improvement in airflow)?

3) Has anyone of you tried to mount an additional intake fan (possibly 120mm) in the front 5'25 bay? This is the only point which makes me feel thorn apart between Antec 900 and RC-690...
1) Yes, it will take more dust since it is pulling air from the outside.

2) You won't be able to install it upside down ;)

3) I have not seen it, but it would work.

I have another fan mounted in the 5.25 bay. I used zip ties to secure it. Works great pulls cool air straight to my heatsink fan. I have a total of 7 x 120's as case fans and 2 x 120's on heatsink.

The room in this case is nice for a smaller case. You would be happy with this case mikaelc.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. I'm getting closer to placing an order. And I'm eager to see at least a little drop in temperatures (compared to my present, cheap case). I just hope it will serve me for a couple of hw updates... ;)

The right side panel exhaust fan (80mm thin profile) seems to help a bit in my case. I placed an old 60mm AMD cooler plus mod another 80mm on the outside to suck air out.

Just inspected this case at my local puter store and something struck me. Because the entire case is basically mesh construction, will it really cool that well? Not being able to fully pull a draft from front to back, or bottom to top seems like there could be easily made dead spots around the fans as they simply recycle alot of their own air. Know what I mean?

Know what I mean?
No...

The entire case is not mesh....not sure what case you looked at. The only mesh parts are the top (where the fans are, mind you ;)). The IO panel is solid, no air getting through that. The front is also mesh, the bottom has a fan behind it and the 5.25" are the only thing with breathable mesh without a fan.

There is no where near enough pressure...I'd be more worried about the spots where I don't have a fan...

:welcome: to the forums BTW! :D

No...

The entire case is not mesh....not sure what case you looked at. The only mesh parts are the top (where the fans are, mind you ;)). The IO panel is solid, no air getting through that. The front is also mesh, the bottom has a fan behind it and the 5.25" are the only thing with breathable mesh without a fan.

There is no where near enough pressure...I'd be more worried about the spots where I don't have a fan...

:welcome: to the forums BTW! :D

Hmm, musta not looked at it really hard enough.

Oddly enough, I'm looking at the CM Cosmos or this one. Compleate ends of the spectrum of price and size though. I just LOVE the commanding look of that damn Cosmos.

Oddly enough, I'm looking at the CM Cosmos or this one. Compleate ends of the spectrum of price and size though. I just LOVE the commanding look of that damn Cosmos.
I heavily considered getting that case. The price killed it (when it was released) for me :(

The price you can get it for now is absolutely insane.

Back