• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler recommendation for M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 using all 4 DIMM slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Encore2097

Just got a M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/ Phenom II 555 BE and it unlocks to 4 cores!

Unfortunately, its neither prime95 stable nor IntelBurnTest with the stock cooler.

Its in an Antec 300 and I am using all 4 DIMM slots so can someone recommend me a cooler that wont interfere with my RAM?

Does your ram have tall heatspreaders? If so, you might run into clearance issues with a 212+ because I have noticed that it looks like most AMD boards position the ram slots closer to the socket than Intel boards as a rule. You can offset the intake fan a bit on the 212+. but a heatsink that gives even better room is the Cogage True Spirit and buy the Thermalright AM2/AM3 mount to use it with your AMD board. It's a bit more expensive than the 212+, but is a much more effective cooler and the mount is at least as good as the AM2/AM3 mount with the 212+.

Cm Hyper 212 for about $30 buck or so..

Cool, was looking into that. Seems the only difference between the 212 and the 212+ is the universal mounting bracket?

Does your ram have tall heatspreaders? If so, you might run into clearance issues with a 212+ because I have noticed that it looks like most AMD boards position the ram slots closer to the socket than Intel boards as a rule. You can offset the intake fan a bit on the 212+. but a heatsink that gives even better room is the Cogage True Spirit and buy the Thermalright AM2/AM3 mount to use it with your AMD board. It's a bit more expensive than the 212+, but is a much more effective cooler and the mount is at least as good as the AM2/AM3 mount with the 212+.

The RAM does not have any heat spreaders; I attached a pic.

I'm hoping the heatsink I get will be able to handle unlock and overclock (maybe) with stability at 100% load. If this is not a hard task as far as air coolers are concerned, then I'm after efficiency (performance/noise/price).

The price difference between the two options mentioned so far is about $10 so I could go either way.

Here are the pics, please excuse the messy wires, still messing around with the build :D
a6Z4V.jpg

XGInp.jpg

edit: Don't know how I missed this thread ( Space between RAM and heatsink fan... should I be concerned ? ) which is pretty much the same question. Looks like I'll pick up a CM Hyper 212+. Thanks TorqueRanger and muddocktor

Last edited:
With the ram you have in your system, you shouldn't have any problems with either the 212+ or the True Spirit. Of the 2, the True Spirit performs significantly better, but costs $10 more too. The True Spirit will give more overclocking headroom, but either will do a good job. The choice is up to you.

Back